Times of India - launching in chennai

• Thread starter Thread starter ~Hami~
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 40,742
i think all newspapers and magazines in general will need to get innovative to avoid being exterminated by the internet :)

Not papers like Hindu; their reviews are marked with distinct erudition; and the editorials are issues that sensitize people to a broad spectrum *relevant* issues. Their sections on literature and performing arts are also quite classy and there is usually a thematic thread in those sections in a given set of articles.

Not idealistic though, there is that occasional riff raff on minute details of teh American economy or what the British royalty is upto. The other downside is they are government lick-asses... IE hits the nail on teh head in that respect.

chennai is over shadowed by hindu, indian express(not that much) and recently, deccan chronicle with their one rupee price magic :hysterical:

Well Hindu sells almost at thrice the price of DC but it will still be difficult to topple them.

Mint (livemint.com) is the ONLY decent newspaper I have come across recently.

Mint is nice.

ET is average.

TOI and HT just keep competing with each other (They're collaborating??)
Out of the two, I might rate TOI higher by a teeny-little point.

Mail Today (MAIL TODAY ePaper) by the India Today Group is the WORST. According to recent reports, the song "Hoth Rasile" was not advertised properly to hide Malaika Arora Khan's stretch marks and Ranbir Kapoor has got his hair woven. They come up with the most imaginative crap ever. Dunno how cause India Today is really good

Nothing by the India Today Group except the magazine is good , their newspaper sucks , their channels are Aaj Tak and Headlines Today :rofl:(no comments) and their election predictions are invariably wrong .The design of mint is good but i dont understand the content much , editorials in hindu are niceI like HT more than TOI only because TOI has those flap ads on the front page which make the newspaper keep slipping

TOI has those flap ads on the front page which make the newspaper keep slipping

Whoever came up with that idea needs to be shot.

hahahhaha.. thats too harsh. idea is actually nice but then TOI over uses it.

TOI in Pune is OK. No flaps or anything, except the full front page ads sometimes (the first time they did it was with indya.com, I think). I haven't read other papers in a long time now. As for the nonsense part, every newspaper applies its own 'spin' to issues and TOI is especially notorious coz BCLs businesses creep into the news one way or the other.

The thing about newspapers and news media in general now-a-days is the confusion over facts and opinions; and also what story deserves to be covered in what depth. Does cricket deserve the front page when Gordon Brown is in India? Who should we pay more attention to - Bruni and her singing career or Sarkozy? And things like that. When it came to the emergency, as far as I know, only one newspaper had the b***s to stand up to Indira Gandhi and her dictatorial ways - the Indian Express. The others became boot lickers. Has it maintained the same standards under Shekhar Gupta?

Got to listen to Jeremy Brett (the best Sherlock Holmes actor yet) who said in an episode - Tell me the facts!.

I would recommend looking at Mint, much better at filtering out nonsense and runs editorials / staff stories that are backed by facts. And opinions are stated as such 9not as news).

I've always felt that HT is crap. They keep trying out different, but mostly attention grabbing and dumb strategies to increase their readership.

TOI on the other hand, may not be what you call 'true reporting' or 'meaningful journalism', but they present news in a nice package, which is pleasing both to the eyes and mind. The language and writing style makes you want to read the news. I don't care if they write crap. I want entertainment, and that I get from TOI.

The Hindu has a few sections which are very informative, and well-written. But the paper lacks the masala that readers today are looking for, so it finds readership only in the houses of the intellectual class - professors, literature guys, lecturers, engineers, doctors, etc.

Don't know about ET. Haven't read it on a regular basis.

Back