Trai asks DTH players to cut rates by April 4

• Thread starter Thread starter sushil_sh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 6,757
april 4 is over what the cut down /... News always remains news forever it will not come to practical implementation

A week long meetings with different broadcasters in india are being held, which started from this monday April 7. The talks are in process , and this time trai has warned if they don't pull down prices then TRAi will have to fix prices making an order to do so .

i am still waiting for the time when we would be able to return the STB and Dish for a refund :D

Direct-to-home (DTH) subscribers in the country are all set to get more choice in terms of channel bouquets and pricing.

Broadcasters will be offering the same channel bouquets to DTH players that are available in the non-CAS (condition access service) cable homes.

They can also offer additional bouquets, according to an announcement made by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) on Friday.
The rates of bouquets and a la carte (standalone) pay channels, on any DTH platform, should not exceed 50% of the rates charged in the non-CAS or non-addressable TV homes.
This tariff stipulation is as per the recent Telecom Dispute Redressal Tribunal judgement.
So far, DTH players could not offer channel bouquets to its subscribers because members of the industry failed to agree on interconnection terms.
Now, with the number of DTH players going up, Trai and broadcasters have been able to resolve the issue of offering bouquets to the direct-to-home platform.
A bouquet refers to a group of channels offered by a broadcaster or a distribution platform, to provide more choice to the subscriber and also enable flexi-pricing. Currently, several channel bouquets at various price points are offered across cable TV networks in the country.
For instance, Zee-Turner offers as many as six bouquets; Discovery two; Sun group’s Channel Plus eight; Star Den Media Services two; Raj Television two; and one each from Ushodaya, BBC World, ESPN and Neo Sports.
In a statement issued on Friday, Trai said that a roadmap had been finalised for speedy conclusion of interconnect agreement between the broadcasters and DTH licencees. “A general consensus has emerged on the composition of bouquets and pricing of a la carte channels and bouquets,” Trai said.
DTH operators have been in talks with Trai to fix the price that they have to pay to the broadcasters. DTH players are keen on a system like the one for cable operators in the CAS notified areas in the metros, where Trai has frozen the rates at Rs 5 per pay channel per subscriber.
Currently, Dish TV (of the Essel group) and Tata Sky (joint venture between the Tatas and Rupert Murdoch’s Star TV) are the two main DTH players in India.
Tamil Nadu-based Sun TV, too, launched its direct-to-home broadcasting service recently. Prasar Bharati also has been running its DTH service (DD Direct Plus), but it is a free-to-air platform.
In all, there are between 5 million and 6 million DTH users in the country. Two more players-Big TV and Bharti-are likely to launch their DTH service soon. And, the Videocon group has also got a DTH licence.
DTH is a satellite broadcasting system through a extra-large pizza-sized dish and a set-top box, which eliminates the neighbourhood cablewallah.
CAS, on the other hand, is a service delivered through a cable operator with the help of a set-top box.
Both CAS and DTH are supposed to help consumers pay for the channels that they want to watch. Currently, CAS is effective only in select areas of Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata, and whole of Chennai.

Source

I guess Big Tv was waiting for launch , for this only so as to offer different channel packages at low prices . Soon other dth will also lower down the prices.

What happened to this announcement? None of the DTH players have decreased their rates yet! It seems that our Indian Govt. and these giant companies are working together rather following rules made by Govt. To fool us, Govt. make rules, join hands with these companies - rather taking money under a table - they add VAT, Taxes and other expenses on a product and cheating us openly (those money goes to Govt). Govt. ask to decrease prices and they dont do. Annoucement has been made, people (we) cheer for good time to come, we again start a fresh morning next day and announcement just becomes a history! Hope is always ON....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:TRAI asked for so many things! Nothing happens !! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What happened to this announcement? None of the DTH players have decreased their rates yet!

It seems that our Indian Govt. and these giant companies are working together rather following rules made by Govt.

To fool us, Govt. make rules, join hands with these companies - rather taking money under a table - they add VAT, Taxes and other expenses on a product and cheating us openly (those money goes to Govt).

Govt. ask to decrease prices and they dont do. Annoucement has been made, people (we) cheer for good time to come, we again start a fresh morning next day and announcement just becomes a history!

Hope is always ON....

well the DTH players decided not to pass the benifit to the users since they are already operating at a loss,so now there will be less burden on them.this what they said in an interview in one of magazines.

you are right adder ....the existing dth players have decided so ...but this approach against the consumers will not last for long :) because Big tv Entry with low prices per month is gonna make them bow before consumers . In fact they were never at losses . It is only their marketing strategy to earn more and more profit out of us . If , in fact , the BIG TV launch is successful in terms of quality of video and audio , just watch out for these two expensive dth providers , they would find their customers disappearing at the FASTEST RATE . For this they will have to reduce the prices to sustain the existing consumer base . :)BIG TV will rock during its launching first year with around 5 million consumers. Looking from this point of time , i think BIG TV will have a BIG impact of cable( analogue ) and cas and DTH markets all over india including SOUTH INDIA as well ..i think the very idea of adding bindass channel and related channel into Lifestyle package and asking more of money by TS is really UNFAIR ! i dont know what price they r asking as i m not any dth user .But once BIG TV comes in , it will teach them a good lesson !

while the pricing of big tv is competitive they still have a lot of technical problems starting with the cheap STB which gets so hot. once TS changes their stb to mpeg4 they will have an edge in terms of no of channels provided since they have 50% more transponders then any other DTH provider in india,also in one of the interviews TS getting set to lauch STB with HD capability priced b/w 4000 to 6000. and even if they do give the same amount of channels as the competition they can still give channels with less compression so the quality will be better.

To all my kind indian friends.... NOT a single COMPANY - (either Indian or Foreign) are here in India to run their business at loss! Do you think these biggies are that dumb to run a company without any profit? Imagine --- in other countries (i know because i have been working with direct foreign companies) they are using 200 or 300mbps internet at a cost we are paying here for 2 or 3mbps! Imagine --- when mobiles were introduced in India. I used at 17 Rs. / Minute outgoing and 8 Rs. / Minute incoming (in a year 2000). Now Imagine --- today, they are charging us 1 Rs. (or even less than that) / Minute and free incoming. Question: Then why the hell did they charge so much in a very biginning? Ok, leave a past but do you know, these call charges are nothing for them what they are charging us at present. They buy airtime in bulk by paying minimum and charging us a lot compared to what they are paying in bulk. (Eg: they buy 500,000 minutes by paying 5000 Rs. then they charge us 1 Rs. per Minute then guess, what they are earning 500,000 - 5,000 = 450,000) - dont take this as silly, its just an example i am trying to show you. Thats their calculations in whatever they buy from others and then sell us at higher price initially and then they reduce and even after reduction, it makes them profitable. NOW same with these DTH providers. They buy satelites and their other required stuff at cheaper cost, they sell us at very higher price and even after reduction they make profits (and spread rumour in market that they are in loss) - i am surprisingly thinking... why none of a single "spoiled" political indian leader (and not even a common man and not even media) comes out and speak --- "hey, we are not forcing you to do your bloody business. If you are in loss, why the hell are you still in business? shut your shit off and let your competitors earn profit" If a single person, say this and all other stop using their services then i am sure they will at least stop spreading such rumour "we are in loss". if they are in loss, what did they study from their management school by paying few lacs? (how to make a business in loss?) REMEMBER friend... same with "R". Anil Ambani and Mukesh Ambani are son of a GREAT Mr. Dheerubhai Ambani (who started with a penny and made an empire) who earned well in his life and also made their investors rich. Sometimes, i feel his sons are only thinking of themselves rather making their investors rich too! When they introduced their mobile, it was damn expensive (they earned enough that time) and then they made it cheaper (and still, they are profitable - thats a reason why they are still in a business, else they would shutted it down the way they stopped their 1230 Petrol Pumps!!! because they were in loss) Same for their BIG DTH venture - apart from good quality and apart from lower price than competitors - they will still make a VERY good profit and then only they will run a business else they will shut it down! REMEMBER a FACT - companies are running their businesses to make profits and not losses. It's just a shit to say "we are in loss" (this applies to all companies such as petrol pumps, communication, IT - ALL industries). A simple answer - "If you are in loss, shut down. We are not asking you to run it at loss!" So friends, Tata Sky and DISH (and any other) say that they are in loss, its a complete crap. They are still running their businesses and still giving new registrations (adding new consumers) at same rates!!! if they are in loss then how can they afford to add more consumers at (losing) same less price?????????? a BIG (?) Any way, sorry - i took a completely another track here but to explain my funda for TS and DISH, i had to take this direction to let you all understand it well. Thanks for reading.

Back