Ubuntu losing its popularity?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 7,212
heh. i guess the problem is that people want things to work out of the box. and that is why a lot of them are switching to Ubuntu based distros like Linux Mint.

pro linux users stay away from ubuntu anyways.

ubuntu is losing its relevance because netbooks are no longer popular. people with limited needs are migrating to tablets. i think google chromebooks is a major threat to ubuntu even though canonical has contributed to the project from what i have read.

This is a cycle. Someone is hailed, people rally behind them, and then someone feels they are probably getting too big to handle. Next thing, they start bringing them down. Has happened oh so many times now

I don't see the point Unity was introduced and Gnome was kicked out.Their so called uber design and stuff. Just a big turn off.

gnome is still available with unity i believe. unity is just the default shell.

Ubuntu is very popular among engineering students in India. For doing projects students (project guide/professors recommends) use Ubuntu. For a novice, Ubuntu is very user friendly and very easy to install, thus I think Ubuntu will not lose its popularity

Ubuntu is very popular among engineering students in India. For doing projects students (project guide/professors recommends) use Ubuntu. For a novice, Ubuntu is very user friendly and very easy to install, thus I think Ubuntu will not lose its popularity
Um... I don't think so. None of my friends in CS/CSE/ET/ExTC use Ubuntu for anything, not even for writing codes. Unless you're a *nix developer, Ubuntu is just... boring. I've dual booted Ubuntu 11.04 with Windows 7 and I've not booted into it for like 2 months, though I do like Unity :smirk:

Back