Ubuntu PPA download speed on BSNL FTTH?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 1,920

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Jio AirFiber 100 mbps. Prior Microscan 500 mbps, PDPL 300 mbps and BSNL 300 mbps.
Any linux users here (various ubuntu based distros) who have PPAs configured?

What speeds do you get during downloading updates?

I have been getting dismal speeds since the beginning back when I got bsnl fiber installed 2 years ago, like 10 mbps or under!

The main PPA server ppa.launchpad.net has decent traceroute (to london location) but the speeds are very low, even speedtest.net select servers to london the results are slow since the start.

What about you guys? Any inputs on this?

PS: I have noticed BSNL fiber international speeds are inconsistent meaning some locations are full speed and others are very slow - even in the same countries sometimes.

Is there any PPAs available for Ubuntu from webwerks.in?
Most of the Linux distros' mirrors on webwerks.in provides me with full speed on BSNL

Thanks guys, but my query is specifically for the PPAs which use the http://ppa.launchpad.net server (located in london I guess) which does not have any mirrors as far as I know.

For the main ubuntu archives, yes, there are plenty of mirrors, I use the denmark one currently and also the official india mirror (esto internet) and also webwerks are very fast but that's not the issue.

Anyone have any inputs about speeds you get from the PPA server - ppa.launchpad.net ?

Well, I got a response from Alan Pope on telegram group, it was a simple "NO" :D

Luckily my downloads are not of large size else it would have been hell - this is elementary OS which uses PPAs to deliver it's components.

You could connect to a VPN and then dl. that's what I did when my ISP had bad routing.

I might just get a VPS and make my own PPA mirror if I really need to :D

Warp seems to slow things down for me but I only tried the free version

Back