• Thread starter Thread starter tr1k0N4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,616
ISP
Airtel Xstream Broadband
Net+(Netplus) Broadband
Hi folks!
I've been using Airtel Xstream Fiber since the past few weeks and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the setting to change Port modes was already unlocked on my Airtel-provided Nokia G2425A ONT, which was a big win for me considering all the forum posts about how one would need to either contact Airtel CC (which is more or less futile) or unlock their ONT (which I'm indisposed to, at the moment) in order to get the Bridge mode set up.
Now, I've configured port 4 on my ONT in Bridge mode and I've disabled Wi-Fi on my ONT and I'm using a TP-Link Archer AX53 as my router and wireless access point. I've set my PPPoE credentials and the VLAN ID (100) on my AX53 and the internet is working flawlessly. I get my plan speed of 200Mbps throughout the house which was earlier not the case when I was using the ONT's Wi-Fi.
Having said that, I also wished to use the VoIP functionality on my Android using my current setup using an app as Zoiper.
There's an option in my router to set the VoIP VLAN ID along with the Internet VLAN ID and I've tried setting it to 660 and VLAN priority to 4 (as is there in my ONT) but to no avail. The internet on my router stops working altogether when I set VoIP VLAN ID and priority.
My observation says that since because my router doesn't have the provision of creating multiple WAN profiles, I can either only use the Internet or VoIP at a time with my current setup. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Secondly, even if I were able to create two WAN profiles (PPPoE for Internet and Static IP for Voice) on my router somehow, how exactly will I be able to connect to Airtel's VoIP servers through my Wi-Fi? Is it even possible?

PS: I've referred to a ton of forum posts regarding setting up Airtel VoIP on a computer but nobody there specifies if they were using Wi-Fi so I presumed they are all working with a wired connection to their ONTs.

One suggestion, use spaces so that your post is more readable.

Note that airtel already creates a VoIP VRF (profile) with VLAN 660, what you can do is, unlock your ONT and tick the "Internet" for the VoIP VRF, and then configure a static route for the IP range used by airtel's SIP servers with the VLAN 660 interface.

Then you should be able to access the outbound proxy server for VoIP from your LAN and able to use a SIP client.

Hope this helps.

Or you can enable bridge mode for another port connect something like a raspberry pi to it,

and then install a SIP proxy (PBX) something like this FreePBX | Open source, web-based, IP PBX management tool. make sure to configure your raspberry pi to VLAN 660 for this to work.

You can use this local "proxy" to connect with Airtel's SIP server.
This will need another NIC I guess so that it can communicate with your LAN, the built-in WiFi will do just fine

Enable IPTV/VLAN in AX53. Bridge one of your LAN ports of AX53 for using VoIP. Connect a VLAN aware VoIP phone in that particular port with static VoIP settings. This is the least complicated way imo.

It's the same thing, Nokia by default doesn't allow creating new profiles that's why I asked to unlock.
Anyway, @trikona wants to use it on their phone. So either a static route on the ONT or this proxy is required

Hi @albonycal and @gmaster, thanks for your responses!

I am looking to replace my Nokia ONT with a GPON terminal first so that I have a backup in case something goes wrong while unlocking my ONT, which I plan on doing in the near future.

I'll take the 'static route' route since I don't have access to a Raspberry Pi currently, plus it would be a lot tidier.

Thanks for all your inputs again!

Hi @albonycal and @gmaster

There's an option in my router to set the VoIP VLAN ID along with the Internet VLAN ID and I've tried setting it to 660 and VLAN priority to 4 (as is there in my ONT) but to no avail. The internet on my router stops working altogether when I set VoIP VLAN ID and priority.
Big oops moment here!
So, I was being impatient, and I usually deleted the VLAN ID and priority for VoIP quite quickly on every occasion, once I saw that PPPoE is not connecting. Last night, however, when everyone else was asleep, I reinserted the settings for VoIP and restarted the router to see if this changes anything.

Et voila! My router was able to dial the PPPoE connection successfully, with the VoIP VLAN ID set. I then noticed that I needed to give my router a few minutes to connect to the internet after changing any VLAN settings, so that was a welcome discovery for me.

What I did next was to bind Port 4 on my router to the VoIP profile, I connected my PC to Port 4, cloned the IP address settings of my Nokia ONT on my computer, post which I was able to ping Airtel's registrar server as well as make and receive calls through Zoiper on my PC.
VLAN settings

My current concern is to create a static route to establish connectivity to Airtel's registrar server through Wi-Fi as well, but I really am a noob when it comes to creating these.

I referred to the forums and they all used a VOIP_INTERNET profile on their ONTs. The problem is, I've replaced my ONT with TP-Link XZ000-G7 GPON terminal.

Can you please guide me as to what will work for me? Please find the interface for static route page on my router below:
Static Routes

Thanks in advance!

@trikona that's exactly the issue. You can't create separate profile in your ONT. And your router will not be able to route the VoIP traffic through wifi. I have experimented just to fail. The only way I succeeded is by wired connection (like you did through PC). As far as I can understand, you need a router which can route both internet and VoIP traffic simultaneously.

Hi @gmaster

Thanks for confirming my suspicions! From the very day I embarked upon this voyage, I've had this apprehension in the back of my mind that this might not be possible without a router which allows to create multiple WAN profiles.
As bad as that sounds, I'll have to live with this truth lol since I don't plan to invest in new network equipment soon.

What router did you try this on though, what did your setup look like?

Also, let's just hope some even more tech-savvy folks come along and can achieve what we've been unable to, somehow🍀

Back