Waiting for MTNL 3G Jadoo service

• Thread starter Thread starter talyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 14,963
is it possible for operator to restrict 3G to certain users/numbers only? i.e. only who subscribed to 3G can access 3G, rest stay on EDGE/GPRS.

For 3G subscription you need to get a 3g SIM card. When not in 3g network it will switch to GSM network and this capability is supported in most of the 3g phones.

oh u need different SIM card? i doubt that. whats the reason? what is special in 3G sim card if such thing exist.

Technically you won't need a new SIM card. But calling the smart card as SIM card is not correct. The smart card is called as UICC. SIM is the application that runs over the smart card in GSM networks in 3g (UMTS) networks the application is USIM. Basically, the difference is better cryptographic algorithms and security standards. On an existing 2g card you can install the 3g USIM over the air. But the smart card must be better equipped to handle the USIM application.

So, the service provider can give 3G to some subscribers who pay for it. And other subscribers will keep on using Edge/GPRS. It means 3G and Edge can be provided by the same service provider in the one area.

what if i get 3G for a month and disconnect? they will take back my 3G SIM card and give me 2G SIM card? and if they dont take back the card, i can enjoy 3G at EDGE rates?

No, the SIM which can be used for 3G..will be used for 2G network. But a 2G sim can't be used for 3G networks.

There is another level of authentication for the services. Whenever your mobile registers with a 3g network, the network checks if you are a 3g subscriber from its database. If not your registration will fail. Hence if you opt out of 3g you cannot access the network as the record will be present in the operators database.Some countries have provided 3g with 2g SIM, using 2g authentication. But they were slowly phased out due to better security and compatibility with the standard. MTNL also might provide this facility too, so that there will not be any change in the SIM. But anyways the list of 3g and 2g subscribers will be maintained at the operators database. 3g subscribers can access 2g network but not the other way round.

its going to be launched in mumbai by april next year...but when is vodafone going to launch their 3g service...they keep delaying the 3g bidding which will now take place on 16th jan

In Mumbai there are only two slots free for private operators and Vodafone may not be able to get the license. Strong contenders are Airtel and RCom. After bidding is over it will take minimum 3-6 months for deploying 3g services. So we can expect 3g launch by private operators by next May. To introduce service like iptv etc... it will take more than a year.

Back