Weird Connectivity issue with Airtel/Nokia Modem G-2425

• Thread starter Thread starter Nefarious
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,994
ISP
Airtel
From past few months I am facing absurd problem with my Airtel FTTH.

Link drops automatically (its rare, happens 1-2 times in 1-2 days) and then when link comes back, modem keeps try to establish connection but fails to do so.
Link drop is not the issue since most of the time my connection is stable and I don't face frequent disconnection. Problem is, when the link goes up, my modem is not able to connect back and the Internet LED keeps blinking, it may keep blinking for hours untill I restart my modem. After restarting, it goes normal.

So last week I raised a complaint and got my modem replaced by airtel, however the technician gave me same model since there wasn't any other in their stock.
I thought this might solve my problem but the next day and till today, problem remains same.

The only solution is to reboot the modem. Sometimes this issue occurs 2-3 times in a day and sometimes only once. The thing is it happens at some point of day.

Are you guys facing same issue with Nokia modem or its not the fault of modem but something else ?

Any fix for this ?

Interestingly on my zte f7670 internet led blinks quite frequently and I guess it is indicative of actual data transfer over WAN.
I am not an expert on this topic but would like to make a few comments
If you have another router just in case or if you can borrow one then put your Nokia in bridge and let your router handle everything and observe the behavior for a few days if your router can establish quickly back after link up.
Try to disable IPv6 in settings and observe
Alternatively report the issue to airtel again and also ask those guys for firmware upgrade / downgrade as applicable to see if the issue repeats with another higher or lower version of fw.

Same issue happening with me since last month. Airtel + Nokia setup. The technician wasnt able to diagnose the problem as the router logs shows no errors.

Have you been downloading like 20-25 gb per day types? I have noticed it happening for me on days when I have higher usage.

Interestingly on my zte f7670 internet led blinks quite frequently and I guess it is indicative of actual data transfer over WAN.
I am not an expert on this topic but would like to make a few comments
If you have another router just in case or if you can borrow one then put your Nokia in bridge and let your router handle everything and observe the behavior for a few days if your router can establish quickly back after link up.
Try to disable IPv6 in settings and observe
Alternatively report the issue to airtel again and also ask those guys for firmware upgrade / downgrade as applicable to see if the issue repeats with another higher or lower version of fw.
In Nokia, when Internet is up, Internet LED stops blinking however when data is transmitted wifi/Lan led blinks.
Blinking of Auth LED shows that its not able to connect/authenticate pppoe credentials or something like that.

They already upgraded fw on old modem, didn't help. Issue is new router facing same problem.

No I don't have other modem, infact Airtel binds their modem with line/customer data so you have to unbind that before trying other modem. This can't be done since its not in user's hands.

Same issue happening with me since last month. Airtel + Nokia setup. The technician wasnt able to diagnose the problem as the router logs shows no errors.

Have you been downloading like 20-25 gb per day types? I have noticed it happening for me on days when I have higher usage.
I don't think I am downloading that much. Previously I have done that but not sure whether it's related to data.

What I think is, it might be due to server/authentication issue at Airtel's end.

If it was modem related, should have rectified when modem was changed.

Not sure what to complain if I raise one.

I complained on 121. Then was also connected with local backend team. He came to my place and gave me a new Nokia router. The problem frequency did reduce a bit but it still happened every 2-3 days once at atleast.

The technician also showed me his app where the router details for my connection was showing as green or red.

I also told him that when the issue happens I ll call him before restarting the router. Still he was not able to find any problem in the connection.

No I don't have other modem, infact Airtel binds their modem with line/customer data so you have to unbind that before trying other modem. This can't be done since its not in user's hands.
This is not what I was commenting. You have to put Nokia in bridge mode (if you cant do it yourself take airtel's help) and while it is still connected to airtel line as is, connect your own router to it and let your router do the pppoe dialup. This is how bridge mode works.
Then observe the behavior. However if you have no other ethernet modem with you like those D-Link, TP-Link routers that directly plug into ethernet wan port, this is out of scope at the moment.

Last edited:
Three things:
  1. The power adapter should be 12w. The one which comes with the new Nokia ONTs creates such a problem.
  2. This issue also occurs when you have low voltage in your home or frequent fluctuations- between the main line and to the inverter.
  3. The Fiber line could also be an issue. There could be some bend somewhere.

Last edited:

Back