When will BSNL offer 1 Gbps speeds?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 60
  • Views Views 14,735
Got a call just now from one Ashish Mishra (BSNL FTTH Pune nodal officer) and we spoke at some length about this topic.

The gist of the discussion was that BSNL is always doing market research as to what are people's requirements and till now they have not seen a need/demand for higher speeds more than 100 mbps, which I can agree to.

He also mentioned that they are going to launch "cable tv" (which I guess is the triple play services) in 1-2 months time and at that time there "may be" some higher speed plans launched as well - so I have my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Funnily enough, when I was trying to explain a scenario (downloading multiple GBs of game content or linux/windows ISOs etc) where 1 gbps could be useful to me, while trying to explain the time savings, he claimed that my plan is 100 MBps (mega bytes) and I had a hard time trying to convince him that my download plan is actually 100 mbps (mega bits) :D

But anyways, I am glad that at least someone is reading my emails/tweets, I just hope that they eventually (who knows when?) launch plans to match higher speeds and prices of other providers.

Good to know about the cable tv part. Wonder if it'll be as exorbitantly priced as the DTH ones. And if LCO's will be able to provide it via the modems. I've mostly shifted to Hotstar, netflix Amazon prime till the time its cheaper.

What you mentioned, is how almost any conversation with bsnl person in the 10 yrs of using ADSL has gone for me. I mean the engineers etc.

One of us should launch an ISP. Im getting tired of noobs and explaining to noobs.

1Gbps.!

I purchased new Alphion modem 1143 to upgrade from 100Mbps to 300Mbps.
The profile at the BSNL office was upgraded and still I dont get speed higher than 100Mbps!

Any one getting/using 300Mbps with BSNL ftth?

1Gbps.!

I purchased new Alphion modem 1143 to upgrade from 100Mbps to 300Mbps.
The profile at the BSNL office was upgraded and still I dont get speed higher than 100Mbps!

Any one getting/using 300Mbps with BSNL ftth?

Yes I am on 300mbps plan with a basic optilink onu.

Check your modem specifications to see if any ethernet port is capable of 1gbps, then check your ethernet cable is at least Cat 5e rated it should be printed on the cable, then check your computer is capable of 1gbps ethernet link speed by looking at your network properties in the operating system settings?

Back