Which wireless range extender (signal booster) to buy?

drmulchandani

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband 999 Unlimited
Ok guys I know this is posted elsewhere but to avoid confusion and perhaps to help other people with a similar problem I thought I would start a new thread.As you all know I went and bought the buffalo router WHR HP G54 and am very happy with it no problems till now.We renovated our flats and now the 2nd comp is too far to get the wireless signal and the wired connection seems not to work (questioned elsewhere).My prob now is that I need a wireless extender to make my dad's system work or he will take the modem into his room and I'm left without a network connection:rofl:My question here is which wireless extender to buy and where can I get one which will be compatible with the buffalo router?I've seen the Belkin one online for some 3K but its supposed to be a big deal to set it up.Oh yes I need it to be wireless cause I have no wires running through my rooms now (concealed wiring the bad side!)

or he will take the modem into his room .........

The solution is here !
Means he has a telephone extension point.

Rent a modem from MTNL for your dad ,and
you use present modem+Buffalo wifi router
for your laptop ! or visa versa !

Of course only one can work at a time.

Please wait :
will update for wifi antenna extender. doubt feasibility.
update :YouTube - HOW TO MAKE A WIFI EXTENDER

WHR HP G54
product uses a two antenna/single high power transmitter technology. It is not designed to anticipated 802.11n standards. Based on Buffalo Technology outdoor tests, this product outperforms two radio/three antenna MIMO technology beyond certain distances. Buffalo Technology testing also shows that this product equals or exceeds the performance of two radio/two antenna MIMO technology at all distances.

Uniquely equipped with a built-in signal amplifier, the WHR-HP-G54 produces a true 60% increase in wireless transmit power over a standard 802.11g wireless router. WHR-HP-G54 extends the range of standard 802.11g client devices by up to 70% and improves overall performance by up to 50%

hey essbebe many many thanks for all the help.I just got home and put my head into the problem and finally got it workingI just cut the wires on all ends and re crimped everything I also now use the wireless just as a router as everything for now is wired. If i need wireless i wil just shift the cable to the wan jack...Thanks for that idea tooTake care Cheers

No need to buy anything Just use a 3rd party Firmware and boost signal. WHR-HP-G54 is one of the best router when it comes to range factor.

had answered your question in the other thread. but i would say try what genexed said first. buffalo does have a good range and 3rd party firmware increases it even further.

I have downloaded the tomato firmware for buffalo but the last time I tried flashing the thing it didn't work?Any idea or suggestions on how to upgrade firmware?

@DrMulchandani
Please see full details .
WHR-HP-G54 - DD-WRT Wiki

The WHR-HP-G54 has two antennas. An obvious external one which can be replaced, and an internal one on the board. The two antennas are for 'diversity', in indoor environments (multipath), or when either AP or wireless clients are moving. When using a high-gain antenna (a better antenna than the stock antenna), or a single directional antenna, use the Right antenna setting, for both TX and RX. Using only one high-gain antenna
The WHR-HP-G54 has an additional amplifier in the unit (the HP stands for High-Power) and increased receiver sensitivity (BroadRange). Buffalo sells this router with the tag line \"MIMO Performance\" for this reason.
It is necessary to manually set boardflags=0x3758 to activate the built-in amplifier and the increased receive sensitivity on the unit *. Depending on the environment and equipment, owners report different results with differe...........

Back