Zero upload speed but download speed full

• Thread starter Thread starter Nautical
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 8,664
ISP
BSNL
Hello friends

For the past two days I have been facing a strange problem whereby according to my FTTH plan (Fibro 600GB/Month CUL) I can test 55-57mbps at Ookla but upload speed reading is always zero and as a result of that I can't browse the internet. In my area the responsibility of providing FFTH has been entrusted to the local cable entity. so no BSNL guy is supposed to help me in this. I took their (cable's) help and their tech guy tried to resolve the issue by changing some settings in modem's webpage but to no avail.
I have
OP-GONT 90211VW
Firmware- V1.0.0-180912 and V1.0.1-180718 (tried both of them)

The problem is persistent even at WiFi. Please friends help me out of this. And I am sorry if I did not provide adequate technical details in this first post.
Thanks in advance.

Please provide us a screenshot of PON status page.we can help thereafter.
If upload speed is zero,you would not have been able to use internet...AFAIK

Upvote 0
Please provide us a screenshot of PON status page.we can help thereafter.
If upload speed is zero,you would not have been able to use internet...AFAIK

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    12 KB · Views: 1,472
Upvote 0
The optical signal is weak.Ask the LCO to transmit more powerful signal from their OLT.
It is as simple as this.
Now,why the upload speed is zero,because the transmission from OLT is always more powerful as compared to ONT.
Thus,you can receive signal,but transmission from your ONT is barely enough to to make considerable upload within the given timeframe as per PON standards.
Please contact your LCO.
@varkey
Is it only me or is it a common phenomenon that the optical power decreases as the temperature increases due to increased extension of glass?
Even I am getting -31 dBm signal today.LCO promised to rectify by tomorrow.I had to pursue them and threaten to disconnect.

Upvote 0
Ok,so my inner tikerer ignited fire in me and i opened the box where external fiber cable and the patch cord were connected and the fiber cable coming from the outside was stretched.i made it free from bends and Voila,I habe 6 dBm signal.
BTW,i have dedicated cable for me from the LCO in my village,which means i get great signal.
Everyone should take not of the fact that the bend radius is a real issue in summer.Try to solve things yourself as you get to learn new things.
Open the box and check for bends in fiber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ Kick933

Thanks you. I did not understand all of what you said but I urged them to check for the power and in their opinion following power is too much and that may be causing the problem they will also check for bends and stretches.
Rx Power-30.969100 dBm

I am attaching a scrrenshot of the speed test and could anyone please shed some light on the weird IP (this should look like 117.xxx.xxx.) encircled in red in the screenshot

Attachments

• Speedtest_by_Ookla_The_Global_Broadband_Speed_Test.webp
    Speedtest_by_Ookla_The_Global_Broadband_Speed_Test.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 485
Upvote 0
The power is too low,not high.
This is IP Address assigned to you by BSNL.
Tell them straight that you are going to disconnect if signal does not improve.
You must be having a box where external fiber cable would be joined with the patch cord which is usually yellow or orange.
This coloured cable is going in ont.
Please ask them to check the box or even you can check the box.
If the fiber strand is stretched around a point of turn,signal start deteriorating.
It is common in summer,but LCO should take care of bends.
You should get signal between 7dBm to 20 dBm for optimal performance.It can go to 25 dBm in urban areas where there are lots of users but in rural areas,the signal should be in above specified range.
I get 6.7 dBm after rectifying the bend in the box.

Upvote 0
@ Kick933

Thank you very much for all your responses. The tech guy visited today and checked a few things, disconnected and connected the fiber cable going to ONT and as sometimes happens, everything started working correctly. Now Rx power is -24, Up & down at Ookla is 53-55mbps. One thing could be possible, as he had been checking a few boxes out in the street,he might have rectified the issue during the process but said to me that everything was ok there when he entered my room to check the box.
Yesterday I had opened and checked the connections in that black box in my room but I didn't see anything unusual i.e. bends or strains.

One more good thing happened, for the past two months my up speed was around 10-15 mbps, on contacting them they said it is directly from BSNL backend, but now it is again 50-55 mbps, as per my plan.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
It is a pleasure to help each other in the forum.
Yes,it is usually a fiber bent more than the prescribed bending radius which leads to weaker signal. Attenuation inside singlemode cable is relatively very low.

Upvote 0
Optical signal should be higher than -26. (Usual optimum range for RX power is -26 dbm on lower side and -14 dbm on higher side.)
Most ONUs are tolerant up to -30 dbm. So you are already beyond the lowest power limit.

Upvote 0

Back