• Thread starter Thread starter Asterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 6,530

Asterix

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I just switched to MTNL's 1Mbps plan for 1k and it occurred to me that this was a landmark plan in the history of Indian broadband. Arguably this is the plan which means that true broadband speeds have finally arrived in India at a reasonable price. Some of us will remember when Airtel first implemented 256Kbps plans for 1000 and what a landmark that was at the time (was it 2005?). And then for several years it appeared that India broadband was stagnating when it came to unlimited plans. I think it was only last year that we had 512UL plans for 1000.Yes, yes we still remain far behind East Asian and European countries and even the US but still let's be glad for whatever progress we have made. 1Mbps UL for 1k was a distant dream just a couple of years ago.

Is it really 1Mbps speed?

Yes, yes we still remain far behind East Asian and European countries and even the US but still let's be glad for whatever progress we have made. 1Mbps UL for 1k was a distant dream just a couple of years ago.

So true, after a long time, broadband scene is moving in the right diection. Let's hope it keeps moving and doesn't get stuck once again.

Having said that, Airtel is still charging 1099 for 512 kbps, and I believe this MTNL offer is just for Bombay. If BSNL adopts the same plan, then only we can hope Airtel to reduce their charges.

I am paying 1099 (1212 after charges) for the airtel 512 unlimited plan with 100GB limit.A 1Mbps unlimited plan will be great, especially with no limits.Hope TRAI wakes up and makes the Broadband cheaper.It seems it will take Airtel another year to offer those rates, better off with 3G for Mobiles till then.

it sure is a great improvement...But the best might be yet to come... now that mtnl has offered these plans other ISPs will follow...We can expect a bright future for india in terms of broadband...However, the new Fair Usage Policies really suck...

It's kind of ironic that Bombay now has the best UL plan in India. Generally Bombay has had the worst of it when it comes to broadband options in recent years. No BSNL and only limited Airtel. MTNL was late in offering UL plans at all and I remember their initial rates were completely ridiculous. And IIRC there were generally better UL plans in Delhi than Bombay. Having a plan that the rest of India is jealous of is a nice change.:D

The Telecom Ombudsman (TRAI) should keep a threshoild price of Rs. 1000 for 1 MBPS connection..that would make these Ass**&^ companies offer such plans at these rates!! Even though MTNL has launched the 1 mbps plan @ Rs. 1K , Reliance, Airtel & TATA are relaxed is because they know MTNL has its limitations wrt stability of its connections as ppl stayin more than 3 kms from the exchange have problems with the stability....So unless those bureaucratic b@#$@rds at TRAI or DoT step in, nothings gonna change with the BB market in India...

i do not personally believe that TRAI would want to set pricing for the companies operating in the market. in a democracy, they cannot force anyone to price their services below a certain level. of course they do have upper limits for some aspects of the services. but generally speaking, they have no logical reasonings to enforce a pricing scheme when there is no monopoly in the market. how would you feel if the indian government enforces a ruling that for the job you are doing, you cannot get a salary above a certain limit? it does not work out like that.

TRAI cant force private players to price their services at a certain rate. But they can control the prices set by the government entities like MTNL and BSNL so this keeps the market in check. Its possible to get good speeds and large data transfer amounts for much cheaper than what these private companies charge us. Simply because they have exclusive landing right, they continue to maintain an iron grip on the ISP sector.

Back