1Mbps UL for 1000 (MTNL), a landmark in broadband in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Asterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 6,530
Even if trai did set price limit, the companies would just impose ridiculous FUPs like 5 or 6 GB, so it will make the plan useless. The only way to reduce price is to have competition.

TRAI should make a ruiling that no FUP on plans with 2MBPS speed or less. Anything above that can have a FUP. Then we will see some really good plans.

Broadband in India is considered to be a luxury and not a necessity. Unless this mindset changes, the growth of broadband in the Indian market will be very slow. This Fair Usage Policy is totally crap.

both the companies have to answer to their investors and share holders and for that they have to be profitable.

i do not personally believe that TRAI would want to set pricing for the companies operating in the market. in a democracy, they cannot force anyone to price their services below a certain level. of course they do have upper limits for some aspects of the services. but generally speaking, they have no logical reasonings to enforce a pricing scheme when there is no monopoly in the market.

how would you feel if the indian government enforces a ruling that for the job you are doing, you cannot get a salary above a certain limit? it does not work out like that.

TRAI is already setting the prices of mobile phone services. For example, termination fees of phone calls made from one cellphone operator to another is fixed by TRAI and it is 20-30 Paisa per minute. SMS sent for one operator to another are carried without payment of any termination fee. So, we see SMS cost as low as 1 paisa per SMS in some plans.

If they can fix cellphone tariffs indirectly, then why not broadband tariffs by controlling the cost of wholesale bandwidth?

the biggest problem is the last mile connectivity which is largely controlled by MTNL and BSNL. and whenever you start talking about opening it up to private players, government guys threaten to go on strike. they own the wires. so they control the landline broadband segment. they do not own the airwaves. so mobile services are more competitive.

What about 2Mbps UL below Rs 2,000? Isin't that a first also.. by MTNL..?

MTNLs 2Mbps unlimited is still 4K because MTNL has a bunch of limited plans having 2Mbps speed with data caps around 8GB to 16GB and their tarrifs are around 2K.If Unlimited is also for 2K then these plans will have to be closed.That is the reason why according to me.

I subscribed to 1 mbps unlimited plan a few days back. My connection is completely wireless between the gateway and computer, yet get the speed of 1.7 mbps always!! Even the ping test is of A grade!!! So far never faced any connectivity problem. :thumbsup:Not only its a cheap plan, it gives more speed (actually double) than promised. I had Hathway connection of 256 kbps Night Unlimited for 450 bucks a month. Now I am getting 24 hour connection of 8 times of that speed at just twice the cost!! Truly as Asterix pointed out this IS a landmark plan :urock:

Back