8MBPS from MTNL Triband Broadband ?.......

• Thread starter Thread starter Siddhesh222
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 12,297

Siddhesh222

Regular
ISP
MTNL 256KBPS,DSL 399
Expecting compeititon coming from Airtel's side as they are about to launch their all new 8MBPS connection.Prices estimated to be 2000 per month,with a fair limit of 7-8 GB.I always see ISP's launching a new plan as soon as they face compeition,A great example would be when the 2MBPS era started.Now every ISP offers 2MBPS.So just thought of MTNL offering 8MBPS.I am quite pessimist about this thought about MTNL installing a CEN(Carrier Ethernet Network) in Delhi and Mumbai,As it would be quite expensive for them.And I think Verizon should arrive in India (lol) and provide some stable plans at fair prices.Cheers to MTNL!.:yahoo:

If MTNL does plan to provide 8 mbps plans, it should be with a download limit of atleast 30 to 40 GB if not more. Otherwise its useless. Giving a 7 GB download limit on 8mbps? pointless. I finish that kind of quota only in surfing. Those who want to surf, 2 mbps is fine for them. Its pointless to introduce 8mbps with a download limit of 8gb with a price of 2,000.

Thats true.Besides that, I would rather that our ISPs proceed with caution.Why? Because the UK is in a mess after claims of 24mbps & 8 mbps at minimum.... and then people find that they get disconnected frequently, or hardly hit 50kBytes/sec, or the limit is 40 GB only, and when all else is fine, the price for a truly unlimited 8mbps home connection is beyond 100 Pounds!UK users & journos are coming to India, and feel like they are in internet heaven! (stable, unlimited, and guaranteed minimum speeds)

Thats true.
UK users & journos are coming to India, and feel like they are in internet heaven! (stable, unlimited, and guaranteed minimum speeds)

now thats a shocker:O

Please stabalize us puny 256k Subscribers first.

Because the UK is in a mess after claims of 24mbps & 8 mbps at minimum.... and then people find that they get disconnected frequently, or hardly hit 50kBytes/sec, or the limit is 40 GB only, and when all else is fine, the price for a truly unlimited 8mbps home connection is beyond 100 Pounds!

UK users & journos are coming to India, and feel like they are in internet heaven! (stable, unlimited, and guaranteed minimum speeds)

I dont think so
Virgin Broadband is available for 24 Pounds per month 4 Mbps with no limits whatsoever.

2 mbps is available for 17 Pounds

20 mbps is for around 50 Pounds per month

all plans hav absolute no download limits as mentioned in their brochure.

Speeds are reduced to half during peak hrs from 6pm to 12am if u are heavy downloader. But thats pretty much it.

Since i am Univ Student i am on VPN

I kinda agree with sanke1, actual experience is different from internet reviews..i have used aol uk (2mbps unltd) for abt 2 months that was way back in 2004 without any disruptions/disconnections/speed fluctuations or any other problem.. & this is my own experience besides i also have updates from relatives/friends according to which situation there is much much better than India

Thats true.

^ what ? :O must be people from remote wales or scotland villages who dont have BB yet

#1. You're quoting brochures.
#2. That full speed never actually comes through.
#3. The catches are always some of these many - from half/quarter speeds to port blocks to unsaid invisible transfer limits to unreliability to poor latency to costly/useless customer service.
#4. Sometimes even their 24mbps crawls at 64kbps speeds! Of course there will be exceptions, but TRUE high-speed+unlimited+economical broadband is still a mirage by and large.

@cyberwiz
Of course exceptions are there, and your contacts there are the more sensible ones who took up good providers & plans. By the way, aol uk does have transfer limits, though they claim unlimited. The situation in the consumer market has become terribly chaotic since 2004.
And nopes, the people i'm quoting are having their business offices right in the heart of London, and have houses outside the city. Business internet is of course good, but home connections are still given a step-motherly treatment.

Back