Airtel HD Ready?? I don't think so.

ISP
airtel
I just went through the hardware guide of Airdel Digital TV and found that their STB too uses only composite outputs for connecting to the television. And as you may know, for a basic high definition connection you need atleast component inputs, let alone HDMI to transmit digital signals to your television / home theatre set up. I don't know why Airtel and other DTH providers cannot give this simple provision in their STB. When television manufacturers are banking big on digital LCDs with HDMI inputs and the whole industry is moving forward, the least that service providers can do is offer component outputs so that TVs can interpret the digital signals. Trust me, there is a huge difference in quality between a component output (three separate outputs for just video) and a composite output (one output for video and one for audio). Its really sad...

Hmmmm. I wonder why they are using the phrase "HD Ready" then. :S

@ contentedbloke you raked up a good point. When tv market is making a hd technology a big issue in their advertising campaign, none of the dth provider has come forware to stream single hd channel. I baught 37'' Panasonic full hd, expecting by the year of end at least some dth will come up with this tech. But now it think its all in vein.

I just went through the hardware guide of Airdel Digital TV and found that their STB too uses only composite outputs for connecting to the television. And as you may know, for a basic high definition connection you need atleast component inputs, let alone HDMI to transmit digital signals to your television / home theatre set up.

I don't know why Airtel and other DTH providers cannot give this simple provision in their STB. When television manufacturers are banking big on digital LCDs with HDMI inputs and the whole industry is moving forward, the least that service providers can do is offer component outputs so that TVs can interpret the digital signals.

Trust me, there is a huge difference in quality between a component output (three separate outputs for just video) and a composite output (one output for video and one for audio). Its really sad...

Because of price war between DTH operators to keep the cost low, they are doing this, as its cheaper to have STB with just composite out :whistle:

HDMI interface STB's (& HDMI cable too) are very costly. It would be very costly for operators to provide such STB's to everybody. But they should come out with premium range of STB's with HDMI or DVI interface.
And also true HD channels to enjoy it :cool2:

Why should they provide hd stb's to eveybody ? They should provide a option according to the tv the customer's use. A person owning a costly HDTV wudn't mind buying a bit more costly stb. AT least by paying more for that stb, his costly tv will come to proper use. There is some reason why he has baught that costly lcd. And person owning a sd tv, should be provided with normal stb. Why is it so difficult for dth players to come with this idea ?

NOTE : When Airtel Quotes its HD ready does not mean that its HD ready with the currently provided STB... Remember ... they can always offer another HD ready STB... Not stick with the current STB... Even SKY UK... Dish TV USA & DirecTV USA different a standard STB and a HD STB... A HD STB not being displayed in site does not mean Airtel Digital TV is not HD capable. Makes Sense ? :D

Back