I don't think i'm getting what I was promised

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr. K
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 4,994
BSNL guys are weird they can't provide respectable speeds to paid plans and offering free 10Mbps plans

@varkey: Announce your blessings a lot and someday you are going to be jinxed by vultures

@philip When I posted that message, I was able to download those files at 150-170 Mbps (on 50 Mbps connection over IPv6) and right now it doesn't even download! Same as your situation. 🤷‍♂️

@varkey

Well well well, guess what ? My downloads are faster now (over WiFi):p

For the 1st link - 900 Kb/s to 1 MB/s
For the 2nd link - 1.8 MB/s to 2 MB/S

Yeah i'm confused now. What's my play here ? Do i replace my router ?

BSNL guys are weird they can't provide respectable speeds to paid plans and offering free 10Mbps plans

@varkey: Announce your blessings a lot and someday you are going to be jinxed by vultures
Yeah for them google youtube etc and other local speedtests are the ultimate internet. They dont expect us to do anyhting else. Their motto is Internet =Google only. 😅 😅. We cannot blame them also entirely since some of them are intelligent people but their hands are tied till now by the stupid government policies.

Hello Guys,
I happened upon this forum by luck and it seems like you guys know your shit.:D
I made this account cause i thought you guys could help me out with my issue.
I recently upgraded my FTTH connection from 5GB plan (Daily FUP) to 500 GB CUL plan - 50Mbps (Combo 777). But there's something off about the whole thing. Speed tests sometimes show that i have 40+ Mbps download & upload speed. But most times speed falls below 20 Mbps.
The problem is when it comes to file downloads i rarely get over 1 MB/s in Telegram. Same speed for torrent downloads, and around 4-5 MB/s when I download something from Play store. I should be getting 4-5 MB/s for torrents and other direct downloads, right ? And a friend who has the same plan told me he gets a minimum of 10 MB/s in play store.

I used to get a minimum of 1 MB/s with my old plan(Which offered 10Mbps upto 5 GB/day). With this new plan, even that speed cannot be taken for granted:(.

So could i solve this issue by tinkering around with my ONT modem and router ? Tried Customer care, but they weren't helpful.
My router is Tenda N301.
ONT Modem - AONT 100C Alphion

Oh and I am from Pala, Kottayam. I am a novice at all this. So you guys will probably have to walk me through the whole process , if you are willing to help. All i know is to login to my Router and Modem. Thank you in advance :)

P.S : Attached speed tests were taken maybe 2-3 minutes apart.

@Mr. K Welcome. We're all noobs. But eager learners 😅

Firstly FTTH here in kerala has been having quite a lot of inconsistencies since last 2+ months. Like a server (steam in bglore) is now at 40 ping for me. The same was 80 ping 10 mins before. Netflix speed issues, botnet issues etc etc. (There are threads for them). Hopefully these will get fixed soon. Till then, sadly, the inconsitency is here to stay.

Ive also been using telegram and I've also felt its download speed fluctuates a lot. Generally on the slower side. So I'm guessing its a telegram specific issue.

As you might know, max download speed would depend on the slowest link that is in use in between. Your router is an older / slower one (N band.) Though it should be workable for speeds upto 50 mbps, an upgrade to a dual band router is recommended. (There are router threads in the forum for helping pick one.)

Yes, Your friend is right. Play store should ideally give you full download speeds. As should popular torrents with a large number of seeds. I tested a popular one yesterday, (inspired by @partymonger, for research purposes only 😅) and you should be getting full speeds. I'm on the same 100 mbps plan from here in trivandrum.

Sadly BSNL customer care isnt very dependable. Only option is to get ones hand dirty.

Well,they have messed up with international speed as they limit themselves.
The routing via Tata sucks(specifically return path as the sender may choose different path).Sometimes,packets come to India to be rerouted from Telstra and rarely with soft layer.The prefix announced at AS9829 are very bad logically after botnet issue. They should rather be part of a international telecom cable like Airtel do with Singtel to overcome issues.

Back