Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

Guys I finally managed to get pfSense working properly with a static IPv6 from Tata Sky BB. Those of you with pfSense please check this pTSBB Static IPV6 - Unable to Configure and check if it helps. The settings should work with dynamic v6 with minor modifications.

Please share your experiences because Airtel could roll out v6 in my area of Pune too some day. It'll be useful to all. Thanks.

@rajil.s as does Tata Sky. My config works for both DHCP6 and Static IP. Difference with a static IPv6 is they reserve only the 1st four quartets of the address. The rest are assigned by the DHCP6 using DUID. Windows LAN adapter gets 3 Ipv6 addresses, one DUID, one changeable temporary address and a link local address.

I tried requesting a v6 today. It worked out of the box, my pfSense VM got a /128 and another /64 prefix delegated to it. LAN interface was set to track and RA was set to unmanaged. Everything started working without any further config changes. This is in Kolkata.

@GordonFM you mean to say your pfSense box got 2 prefixes? Or do you have 2 VMs? Can you clarify? Also, what WAN settings did you use?

PPPoE is an authenticated tunnel through which you receive both v4 and v6. Unless you’ve been alotted a static IPv4/IPv6, both v4 and v6 are assigned using DHCP and DHCPv6 respectively through the PPPoE tunnel.

Back