Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

@GR2 the ONT is controlled via the TR169 remote management method. If v6 is available why then is it is not switched on by them? As @SriramSridhar enquires...can you find out and let us know?

I checked my ONT (port 4 is on bridge mode) and the Nokia's 1st PPPoE connection is still on v4 with a different public IP than my router. Some areas of Pune get IPv6 but for some reason my locality (note I said locality, not the entire city) does not. Also, all Nokia ONT settings are locked to Airtel's pre-configured defaults. Nothing has been changed except the bridge mode via their backend config server. The Nokia ONT's Wi-Fi is switched off and my router + a wired gigabit home LAN with WiFi APs provides both wired and wireless connectivity to my entire home network.

I could shift to v6 in a few minutes for my TSBB connection via the app. So, am I curious about v6 on both my fibre connections? Yeah, maybe but it's not a must have for me. My mobile phones already run v6 only or v4+v6 IPs from both Jio and Airtel...no big deal. YMMV of course

Last edited:
Ok...so curiosity has finally got the better of me. I'll give Airtel 121 a shout tomorrow and find out if v6 is available for my connection. I'll update this thread asap.

can confirm, am recieving ipv6 since past few weeks here in NCR, but apparently i wasn't using it due to router firewall blocking all ipv6 inbound and outbound.
i was forced to do it today as i noticed that airtel put me behind cg-nat today (maybe even earlier but i noticed today) on ipv4 and i was not getting any more public ipv4.
if anyone has any other question, i'd be glad to answer :)
just more info- i am on copper, not fiber. using dragonpath 777vr1 router/modem
Screenshot-2021-08-30-220302.png

Referring to post #132, I had emailed these guys, they flaffed around but have not answered my query about IPv6 availability in Pune as yet despite a reminder. Idiots.

@GR2 the ONT is controlled via the TR169 remote management method. If v6 is available why then is it is not switched on by them? As @SriramSridhar enquires...can you find out and let us know?

I checked my ONT (port 4 is on bridge mode) and the Nokia's 1st PPPoE connection is still on v4 with a different public IP than my router. Some areas of Pune get IPv6 but for some reason my locality (note I said locality, not the entire city) does not. Also, all Nokia ONT settings are locked to Airtel's pre-configured defaults. Nothing has been changed except the bridge mode via their backend config server. The Nokia ONT's Wi-Fi is switched off and my router + a wired gigabit home LAN with WiFi APs provides both wired and wireless connectivity to my entire home network.

I could shift to v6 in a few minutes for my TSBB connection via the app. So, am I curious about v6 on both my fibre connections? Yeah, maybe but it's not a must have for me. My mobile phones already run v6 only or v4+v6 IPs from both Jio and Airtel...no big deal. YMMV of course
Have you checked directly connecting to airtel router, whether you are getting ipv6 or not. If you have connection with second router then you need to make sure internet connection type of IPv6 connection is "Pass-through(Bridge)" on second router (home network)

Got the plan upgraded to Gigabit VIP one after submitting a request two weeks ago. Now I see the /64 prefix delegation (from 2401:4900:1f30::/48 subnet) from their router which is advertised in the LAN, but no default route from them

And finally, got it working. Apparently the router did not have a default IPv6 route, so using the interface added a hackish ::/1 route (destination: fe80::1 via WAN0 interface, being pointtopoint link, it does not matter what's on the other side), and also added a default route on the computer via router's LL address, and now back to needing IPv6 firewall on the host. Finally! I can start having first world problems :D.

It seems like it's testing phase, which is why they don't advertise default route, and so these hacks are needed.

@MozenWrath , please share the screenshot of what changes you performed for this hack.

Also how much speed are you getting using Wifi ONLY for this Gigabit VIP connection ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was finally able to get an ipv6 using the settings below in pfsense. However, there is no default ipv6 route. On the other hand with openwrt i was able to get a default route.
JWfjOfT.png

IPv4 Address 117.xx.yy.zz
Subnet mask IPv4 255.255.255.255
Gateway IPv4 122.172.64.1
IPv6 Link Local fe80::a236:9fff:fe19:9%pppoe1
IPv6 Address 2401:4900:xx:yy::zz:5788
Subnet mask IPv6 128

Gateway IPv6 fe80::3e94:d5ff:fec8:b4fe
DNS servers 125.22.47.100
MTU 1492

Last edited:

Back