Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

Hi guys
I just got my airtel xstream fiber connection. I noticed that I'm not getting ipv6 connection.
Is there any way to enable it?
Should I need to contact airtel for it? If so, whom should I contact because airtel customer care ppl could'nt understand what is ipv6
btw im from chennai and this is my router and ipv6 page in router portal

portal:
Source

xstream fiber box:
Source

Hi guys
I just got my airtel xstream fiber connection. I noticed that I'm not getting ipv6 connection.
If you're not getting IPv6 automatically then it means it has not been rolled out in your city/area. Don't fret though because it is available only in a few places in the country and will be impIemented gradually. I am on dynamic public IPv4 so I am quite happy. You can apply for a static IPv4 that costs Rs 99 + GST per month.

On the other hand, Tata Sky has a CG NAT IP and while I could opt for a IPv6 static IP I am holding back. Why? I don't need it and static IPs are not my thing. So unless I am forced to change I will be sticking with dynamic IP.

India is far ahead in rolling out this service
That's because most mobile connections forming a large bulk of internet connections/users are on v6. Quoting Wiki "According to Google's statistics, India has reached an IPv6 adoption rate of around 55.8% in April 2021."

Latest stats on Akamai IPv6 Adoption Visualization

Last edited:
Sridhar .. getting IPv6 here in south chennai. Chip.. So dont think they will be selective in giving IPv6 within a city. I had got ZTE ont with only default IPv4.. had to configure with some help here. You can see previous pages of this. You have another router, not familiar with that.

If you're not getting IPv6 automatically then it means it has not been rolled out in your city/area. Don't fret though because it is available only in a few places in the country and will be impIemented gradually. I am on dynamic public IPv4 so I am quite happy. You can apply for a static IPv4 that costs Rs 99 + GST per month.

On the other hand, Tata Sky has a CG NAT IP and while I could opt for a IPv6 static IP I am holding back. Why? I don't need it and static IPs are not my thing. So unless I am forced to change I will be sticking with dynamic IP.
Ok cool. If I have to talk about ipv6 availability with Airtel, whom should I need to call?
Customer care couldn't understand what I'm trying to say. They're like 'u need technician visit', 'you cannot access site'. Do I need to contact or mail nodal/appellate regarding this?

If you're not getting IPv6 automatically then it means it has not been rolled out in your city/area.
Wrong. Ipv6 is available in karnataka, but i didn't get it because, the ip mode was set to "ipv4" in wan settings (on Nokia ont). The settings are locked, so i need to contact backend for it, which i don't want to because i am already getting dynamic ipv4, so ipv6 is not necessary for me right now. When i tried my own ont (Huawei) and set the ip mode to ipv4/ipv6, i got ipv6 address.

Sridhar .. getting IPv6 here in south chennai. Chip.. So dont think they will be selective in giving IPv6 within a city. I had got ZTE ont with only default IPv4.. had to configure with some help here. You can see previous pages of this. You have another router, not familiar with that.

Wrong. Ipv6 is available in karnataka, but i didn't get it because, the ip mode was set to "ipv4" in wan settings (on Nokia ont). The settings are locked, so i need to contact backend for it, which i don't want to because i am already getting dynamic ipv4, so ipv6 is not necessary for me right now. When i tried my own ont (Huawei) and set the ip mode to ipv4/ipv6, i got ipv6 address.

Actually I figured out in router settings
I'll post some screenshots on how to enable ipv6 once I get some time.
But why does Airtel disable ipv6 by default?

Back