Airtel new router: Sercomm AOT-4221SR

I have this Sercomm AOT-4221 SR router from Airtel xStream fiber however I am facing issues in frequent disconnection and network also goes while I am wfh in my other room. Also, FYI, I have subscribed to 1 GBPS plan but maximum speed I am getting on this router over wifi is 580 mbps that too on my OnePlus 8 Pro device as the speed varies according to device that you are using. As per my usage I have felt that the signal strength is very less for this router

580Mbps is pretty good for WiFi speed. To go higher than this you would need WiFi 6 AX on both the router and the client device.

Wait, I also got the same router this month, but I don't see the Huawei firmware, looks like the firmware is made by airtel themselves

I have been using this firmware for quite some time now and its really bad, the UI is ok but the buttons are laggy, they don't work URL filtering and sshing into the router don't work even after I turned them on. I also had the previous Nokia router but I found that its memory usage hovered around 20% but this router is at bare minimum of 40%, they have probably also downgraded the memory. Also, I would highly recommend getting a wifi extender if you have any house bigger than 2 BHK or if the walls in your house are more than 5 inches. One thing, now the firmware also shows you the estimated time needed to reboot with a progress bar which is nice

But if you are an average user and need OK performance and over the top looking sci-fi router, you are good to go

Hi all

I got an Airtel fiber connection yesterday and got this router from them

I would like to use my Archer C6 with this router

From what I have read here, there are 2 ways to go about this - either use C6 as AP or put the airtel modem into bridge mode

Which approach is better? Please advice

Best Regards

This would be the way to go. You can start with AP and explore bridge mode if C6 it too slow to process double NAT.
hi

thank you for the reply - if I need to go the bridged route - what would be the steps to follow - is it necessary to contact airtel CC to have them enable bridge mode? And what settings need to be changed in the airtel modem itself?

is it necessary to contact airtel CC to have them enable bridge mode?

Yes. There are multiple devices that are being used by Airtel; it is better to have backend team guide the on-field engineer with specific steps. For some device + firmware; this is self-service as well.

Also, has anyone tried flashing custom firmware on this device

Cuz, the current firmware sucks, you can even use the included options, the router is cool but i miss the well-documented Nokia firmware that came with the last one

I have upgraded my network to Airtel fiber and i got Sercomm AOT-4221SR router.

I am facing issue accessing whatsapp status or loading few applications on my phone. It takes too long to load. Sometimes whatsapp status won't download. It works if i connect to mobile data.

I have tried changing the Router DNS to cloudflare and Google dns. Still no improvement.

I have also turned off the Firewall settings on my router.

Anyone else facing the same issue or have any for this?

Back