Apple: US Government is asking us to build a backdoor on our software

I wonder why article suggests "numeric passcode"... there is alphanumeric passcode too.. which makes it even more tougher.

Apple Wins Ruling in New York iPhone Hacking Order

A federal judge denied the United States government’s request to open an Apple iPhone in a drug case in New York, a move that gives Apple’s pro-privacy stance a boost and that has implications for other cases where federal investigators are trying to get data from tech companies.

“After reviewing the facts in the record and the parties’ arguments, I conclude that none of those factors justifies imposing on Apple the obligation to assist the government’s investigation against its will,” Judge Orenstein wrote. “I therefore deny the motion.”

So amazing that cases just get over fast in USA!

This is in another case. In a lower court. So this does not set any precedent. But still goes on to show how important it is to have strong privacy rights.

San Bernardino DA says seized iPhone may hold “dormant cyber pathogen” [Update]
What is a “lying-dormant cyber pathogen?” San Bernardino DA says it’s made up [Update]

The San Bernardino District Attorney told a federal judge late Thursday that Apple must assist the authorities in unlocking the iPhone used by Syed Farook, one of the two San Bernardino shooters that killed 14 people in a killing rampage in December. The phone, which was a county work phone issued to Farook as part of his Health Department duties, may have been the trigger to unleash a "cyber pathogen," county prosecutors said in a brief court filing.

(UPDATE: A day later late Friday, DA now says there is no evidence of cyber doom.)

Amazon confirms it has dropped device encryption support for Fire tablets

In a statement sent to TechCrunch the company said: “In the fall when we released Fire OS 5, we removed some enterprise features that we found customers weren’t using. All Fire tablets’ communication with Amazon’s cloud meet our high standards for privacy and security including appropriate use of encryption.”

Back