Bangalore - IPTV on 15th August ( With Rates from BSNL )

• Thread starter Thread starter Praks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 43,701
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm new to IBF so forgive me if I'm outta line.

I worked closely with Reliance about 3 years ago when they evaluated the Amino Set top box. In fact I still have a couple of pieces lying in my drawer. What I'm trying to say is that after evaluating the STB 3 years ago the then Reliance Infocomm rejected it, missing several required criteria for an interactive IPTV setup.

While Reliance and Bharti are still no where near completion of their IPTV projects (though they claim to be), what has been launched by BSNL through IOL is rudimentary at best and not able to scale upto what an IPTV setup should offer.

What they are currently offering is a direct substitute to what exists in the market today, better than cable TV but barely any better than Tata Sky or the likes thereof. What they have done by prematurely entering the market is made people spend money on an outdated piece of equipment with a backend not capable of scaling to large content blocks for VoD, not offer services such as nPVR (network Personal Video Recording), E-Learning and much more.

The systems the other Telcos have been working on are far more sophisticated and powerful, with a fleet of services that merit a true IPTV deployment. Most importantly the choice of STB is being made so that the user will not have to buy a new STB in a year once new features get introduced.

:wall:

Additionally, someone mentioned the connectivity options, all the STB's that are under evaluation before being offered have the full suite of connectivity, from RCA to VGA and DVI.

Would love to hear feedback

well the stb which bsnl uses is not some cheap stuff.infact a realy good product.i dont know which model of amino u saw certainely this one offers better compression and was released just a year ago.amino do have higher end set top boxes with HD capability which is a different story.

tata sky uses mpeg2 compression wheres as bsnl (iol)uses mpeg4(H.264).as u all know mpeg4 is the much better compression thats why they are used in BLUE RAY or HD DVD.
tata sky just gives u a composite out.where bsnl has S-VIDEO & composite as standard with an option of component,RGB.so here again bsnl quality will be better.

the only think that could suck is there service whether their lines have the bandwith.

also note IOL is going to launch HD channels in 2008 .but in order to get HD channels BSNL has to upgrade the speed to a minimum of 8mbps.also they have to upgrade their set top box to a amino 130 or 135 or something better.

oh well i had called IOL about 2 hours ago and they said that iptv service will come at 6mbps incuding the audio which comes at 192kbps,the internet will however come at 2mbps so the total bandwith is 8mbps.
i spoke to the most highest official and according to him iptv service trails started in march itself in bangalore.he also said he will be providing me component cable as i had requested him since i have a Sony bravia lcd.
they are also giving HD channels in mumbai again on trail bases.they will be launching HD channels on full scale in 2008.if they need to change the set top box in the event of HD channels they will take care of that he said.

yesterday when i called the customer care a guy picked up i had asked him what are the various cablewires u offer to connect to the tv (com,comp,s-vid) u offer and whats the resolution u guys are giving so he said to hold then i overheard him talking to other guys "hey this guy is to technical hey comen u guys help me out here he is too technical ,he is asking about cables connections now tell me what to do" after that he came and said he will call me back which he never did.
so when i called today i immediatly asked them i want speak to most technical person so thats how i got to speak with one of the most higher officials of iol.that higher official even gave is email id so i can contact him directly.:thumbsup:

Kool Info Adder.Please keep us posted on such internal info.

Hi everybody ! I have a few questions and i hope i get appropriate replies.I have a wifi internet connection at home.Since, none other modems can be purchased from outside as per the rules of BSNL Bangalore, the amino set top box should be able to connect to the wifi connection. Can any wifi adapter be used with the set top box to connect to wifi internet ?

it is going to happen , they r everywhere.

Yep, and who is most worried about it

This is a major threat to cable operations, and the IMG says: "This would mean that if no regulatory mechanism is put in place it would be a kind of backdoor entry into the terrestrial broadcasting domain, which will be difficult and in fact would be nearly impossible to be regulated at a later date."

SO...all the IMG have to do is give nice donation to whoever is in charge and the problem goes away.

:wall:

Cable operators had not only a level playing field but the entire field for all these years. Now its time they paid for their pathetic service and bossing the consumers around. The IMG should go and wash its face in the Yamuna.
Its time the Indian public is protected from idiots wanting laws to cover their a***s.

Paraphrasing Moses:

Dasmunshi, let my people go....

all the time they r busy fooling people, like who watches what ,when, why,such dumb thing , i have right to watch anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back