Best Web Browser

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 548
  • Views Views 111,509
Here are my experiences ...

I started off with IE years ago, then switched to Netscape and its various varsions running up to v6, then back to IEv6 and recently to Firefox v2

The vote is clearly in favour of Firefox. Yet there are issues ...

1. Some financial trading platforms work only on IE and don't even care to know about other browsers. Thus HDFC Securities is my sore problem ... the share trading platform runs onlly on IE and has been for the past four years and they have done nothing about it inspite of problems galore. I am sure other trading platforms will have similar issues. Attitude thing with them and others like them and their software developers.
2. One is not able to use the 'favourites' button to directly logon to weblinks from 'start' in WinXP pro SP-2. Obviously Microsoft will not commit harakiri. Will someone post a 'plug in' or a 'fix' so that the Firefox 'bookmarks' is easily accessed from the start or whatever.
3. No doubt Firefox is slow to start, again since Microsoft has interlaced the OS with IE making the latter faster to open. Can one do something by having a 'kernal' kept open like with Netscape, so that opening the browser is easier? These days, DRAM is cheap and I think most users will be having 1GB DDR2 ram sticks. This is end-2007 folks so go for 2GB. I am told 1GB-DDR2-800MHz is available for under Rs.1,500 in West Mumbai.
4. I have not noticed problems with any weblinks recently when using Firefox. It seems most have accepted the result of 'the battle of the browsers'.
5. Main issue is total lack of awareness of suitable alternatives. Even in this thread, look ... less than 200 votes so far after years of posting. LoL

Comments please.

if you are on windows you can always use IEtab for windows to open IE specific sites if firefox is your default browser then all links will open in it by defaultand you can limit RAM consumption of firefox , just search google for some tweaks

Opera is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, ........... n times Great. (where, n=infinity)Trust me, no other browser on earth can match Opera. Some people hate Opera, just because it is not Open-Source. They a plain open-source extremists.And I am an Opera fanatic...

May be closed-source extremists!!Please do not take that seriously, while writting that post, I was in an extremely happy mood. So just got too sarcastic.

All the features that all of you have mentioned above need addons in firefox.

But they all are integral features of Opera.

Press F12 in Opera and you get a lot of such options.
Right-click the page and select Block Content, you will have the best Ad-blocking tool.
And the options to block images and style sheets are very handy (available in the View Bar).
And you can converse with Opera in English, without the need for a mouse!!

If you are intrested to try Opera (its free) Dowlnoad it from the website.

Back