Best Web Browser

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 548
  • Views Views 111,469
If thought off-topic, please edit/trash as needed!

Two links I'd like to share:

HallOfShame < Main < TWiki
and
Open Source India: Another one joins the Hall of Shame

I had submitted a couple of websites to the author of the first link and this is part of the answer I got...
Thanks for the heads-up. We find that it's generally better to first
request the organisation to change their web sites to be compliant with
FOSS browsers, and then, if they don't comply or agree to comply, put
them in the Hall of Shame. Would you like to write to the webmasters
for these sites? If you need a template letter let me know.

Regards,

-- Raj

The websites are:
http://nseindia.com/ChartApp/install/charts/checkbrowser.html
Oil India Limited :: Home
https://www.icicipruamc.com/tracker/main.asp

In Opera,
There is an option called Author style versus User style but my attempts to use User style cause a total loss of page formatting.
There is also a reverse mode which retains formatting and the style sheet but makes white black and vice versa. This would be very useful if I could tinker with it.

opera lets you pick between the two modes.

you get the option to use your own stylesheet in both the modes.

you can choose in which mode your configs are to be applied... author mode is the css present on the website. user mode is your own configurations.

now there are options to change colors here: opera:config

you can make your own stylesheet too that can be configured as per your wishes... Opera Browser Wiki :: User Stylesheets

now there are options to change colors here: opera:config

I couldn't find "opera: config" in Opera 10.10. I just would be happy if I could change pure white to gray (Hex #808080) and leave everything else as is.

I don't know anything at all about style sheets so I'm afraid that road is closed to me!

haha. just realized changing the background color is rather easy... go to preferences > web page > background color. :Pand opera:config is accessed by typing it in the address bar. :)

haha. just realized changing the background color is rather easy...

go to preferences > web page > background color. :P

and opera:config is accessed by typing it in the address bar. :)

Hi, admin! Thanks for the help. I'll check it out soon.

Meanwhile, I came across this and thiswhich are related to plug-in insecurities and how older, insecure versions of software can appear on one's computer.

The author also mentions Secunia with reference to scanning one's PC for vulnerability.

oh well software would have their own security flaws. the best you can do is to stay up to date and browse carefully. opera and chrome have a pretty good security record. firefox does good too but is targeted because of its massive user base.

haha. just realized changing the background color is rather easy...

go to preferences > web page > background color. :P

and opera:config is accessed by typing it in the address bar. :)

Re. the "preferences > web page > background color", I tried it but it doesn't work if a new page specifies a background color. In FF, we can override the page's background color (with some disadvantages depending on how badly the page is designed).

The opera:config option is way, way, too much for me!

Meanwhile, one more question: in FF, I can select text by clicking wherever I want and then using shift+arrow keys to extend the selection. This is useful on my Dell laptop which doesn't have a mouse. Click-dragging the cursor on the touch pad has its limitations in terms of distance for a large selection. What is the procedure in Opera 10.10? I searched but couldn't find any.

what you are talking about is called carat browsing. i dont think opera has it yet.

Okay! Thanks for the link. Looks like each has its pluses & minuses!

internet explorer added it recently i think... don't think chrome or safari have it either. :) i have used this feature before. it comes handy at times.

Back