Breaking News - TATA SKY+ HD Booking Open. Booked My Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter crisp_tod
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 128
  • Views Views 26,071
Installation Done :DIts truly an amazing experience to watch HD..life is now jinga la la :P

WTF TSHD+ is launched in selected cities but it's available in other city outlets as well? GGguuuurrrrrAnyhow Ordered for the same and I might get it by Sunday :)

Anyone here who took the jump from Tata Sky HD to Tatasky Hd plus?If yes then could they be kind enough to post the differences between the two?Picture quality, Interface, processing speed overall look etc.

WTF TSHD+ is launched in selected cities but it's available in other city outlets as well? GGguuuurrrrr

Anyhow Ordered for the same and I might get it by Sunday :)

i am also from chandigarh, but cc says no stock yet....................where u ordered plz?

Anyone here who took the jump from Tata Sky HD to Tatasky Hd plus?
If yes then could they be kind enough to post the differences between the two?
Picture quality, Interface, processing speed overall look etc.

I took a just from Tata Sky Plus to Tata Sky Plus HD ....in your case the difference is Plus

The main features of plus are documented in this thread ....to summarize

1) One more additional wire will come from your dish to the box
3) Hard disk space is 500 Gb = 625 hours of SD content (HD will be around 300 hours)
4) You can watch the recorded programmes anytime you want - they will be there in your hard disk till the time you delete them
5) while watching live tv - you can pause the match , rewind the match , forward the match (in case you have buffered it ...to the point you come to the live match)

Anything else you wanted to know in particular ?

I took a just from Tata Sky Plus to Tata Sky Plus HD ....in your case the difference is Plus

3) Hard disk space is 500 Gb = 625 hours of SD content (HD will be around 300 hours)
4) You can watch the recorded programmes anytime you want - they will be there in your hard disk till the time you delete them
5) while watching live tv - you can pause the match , rewind the match , forward the match (in case you have buffered it ...to the point you come to the live match)

Thank you for your kind response. :)
I was a Tatasky SD subscriber and shifted to HD just before the Soccer world cup began.What I wanted to know was the difference in picture, sound and overall quality in TS HD+ over TS HD.The rest of these differences between the non DVR Tata Sky and the DVR Tata Sky which you mentioned above, I have made a note of.Thanks again.

Hey one question. You mentioned that the HD recording time will be around 300 hours. Is this a guess or you actually tried checking the storage space requirement for HD recording? Didn't see this number anywhere.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Did some research myself. Obviously this will depend on the recording format and the compression ratio that it gives.
There is no DVR that gives 2:1 SD/HD recording time.
TiVo gives somewhere around 10:1, which means if your SD recording time is 100 hrs you can record only 10 hrs of HD.
TiVo series 3 can do 300 hrs of SD or 32 hrs of HD.
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD can do 90 hrs or SD or 20 hrs of HD
The best ratio that I have come across so far is the Hughes HR20-700, which does 200 hrs of SD or 50 hrs of HD.
None of these products do 2:1 in SD:HD. I will be surprised if Tata Sky+HD does this ratio.

One more feedback would be useful. In many of the older posts I have seen some complains about poor SD channel video quality. Pixelation, jarring image etc. I hope by now TS+ would have released one or more software updates. Are these issues gone or do they still persist?

One reason for the poor picture quality could be (when you compare it with SD STBs/DVRs) is that when you connect your SD STB thru component/composite connection the upscaling is done by the TVs upscaler. While for HD STB/DVRs the upscaling will have to be done by the DVRs upscaler for SD channels. Hence a poorly implemented upscaler on the DVR could possibly ruin the picture quality of SD channels.

Any latest feedback on this aspect?

Thank you for your kind response. :)
I was a Tata Sky SD subscriber and shifted to HD just before the Soccer world cup began.What I wanted to know was the difference in picture, sound and overall quality in TS HD+ over TS HD.The rest of these differences between the non DVR Tata Sky and the DVR Tata Sky which you mentioned above, I have made a note of.Thanks again.

I would not be able to comment on difference between Tata Sky HD and Tata Sky HD plus (i upgraded from Tata Sky Plus to Tata Sky HD Plus). Logically there should be no difference in audio/video quality.

But if i am correct - tata sky HD did not have coaxial cable ... dont know the impact of that is positive or negative :)

Overall -
Hey one question. You mentioned that the HD recording time will be around 300 hours. Is this a guess or you actually tried checking the storage space requirement for HD recording? Didn't see this number anywhere.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Did some research myself. Obviously this will depend on the recording format and the compression ratio that it gives.
There is no DVR that gives 2:1 SD/HD recording time.
TiVo gives somewhere around 10:1, which means if your SD recording time is 100 hrs you can record only 10 hrs of HD.
TiVo series 3 can do 300 hrs of SD or 32 hrs of HD.
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD can do 90 hrs or SD or 20 hrs of HD
The best ratio that I have come across so far is the Hughes HR20-700, which does 200 hrs of SD or 50 hrs of HD.
None of these products do 2:1 in SD:HD. I will be surprised if Tata Sky+HD does this ratio.

One more feedback would be useful. In many of the older posts I have seen some complains about poor SD channel video quality. Pixelation, jarring image etc. I hope by now TS+ would have released one or more software updates. Are these issues gone or do they still persist?

One reason for the poor picture quality could be (when you compare it with SD STBs/DVRs) is that when you connect your SD STB thru component/composite connection the upscaling is done by the TVs upscaler. While for HD STB/DVRs the upscaling will have to be done by the DVRs upscaler for SD channels. Hence a poorly implemented upscaler on the DVR could possibly ruin the picture quality of SD channels.

Any latest feedback on this aspect?

Pretty vague calculation - tried recording the India Vs Bangladesh HD match for around 5 hours and figured that the space used was 2% ....so did the reverse calculation and estimated it - 300 hrs.

But yeah - if the ratios overall are 10:1 ...i doubt tata sky will give 2:1.

Back