BSNL broadband: Can't access websites while using a PPPoE connection

• Thread starter Thread starter LiNkEr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 108,505
Change MTU of network interface in Debian - Default MTU Size for Different Network Topology

Google search " Change MTU in LINUX"
To change the MTU of an interface on GNU/Linux, you just need to tell ifconfig to do so, like this for example:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

To change it permanently on Debian, put it in the /etc/network/interfaces .where almost all network parameters are found. To do this, just add a line mtu to the definition of your interface. Example:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
network 192.168.0.0
gateway 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
mtu 1492

There is an exception, though.

Firstly ,those on NIB-I also experiencing this problem:wall: and changing MTU to 1454 solved the problem for me.
I use Debian GNU/Linux.
In Linux , you can easily change by editing /etc/ppp/options file or /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider to add MTU value.

First try as root ,"ifconfig ppp0 down && ifconfig ppp0 up mtu 1454" to see the change!I was not able to access youtube and all(very slow).now it changed :):thumbsup:

I had exactly the same issue. I was not able to access certain sites like microsoft.com and driveragent.com but other sites like google.co.in are accessible. It turned out to be a simple default MTU setting = 1500 that windows XP uses. Setting it to 1454 resoved the issue. for this you need to update the registry and reboot the machine, or you can download TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe and change the MTU to 1454 or 1492. First try 1454 to see if this works. Then try 1492 to see if that works. Every time you change this you need to reboot the machine.

I think issue happens, when you use router along with dsl modem. In my case,
BSNL Modem is ZXDSL 831AII and router is
Vonage Motorola VT2142. My router is setup to connect to DSL Model using PPPoE connection. I do not use dialer on my desktop.

This sets up persistent connection.

Manual registry modifiaction instructions is also located at Annoyances.org - Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection
(Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection ). I am copying the same here if you can not access it.

If you're using Windows' built-in support for Internet Connection Sharing, and your Internet connection is facilitated by PPPoE software (such as Enternet 300) or Windows XP's built-in PPPoE, you may experience this problem. Although any web site will be accessible on the \"Host\" computer, certain web sites will never load successfully from any of the \"client\" machines. (If you don't know what \"Hosts\" or \"Clients\" are with regard to ICS, read Internet Connection Sharing.) The problem is caused by an incompatible MTU networking setting: Windows' default is 1500, but PPPoE uses 1492 or 1454. Here's how to fix it:

[*]Find the IP address of your gateway. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, run IPCONFIG at a command prompt on the Host computer. If you're using Windows 98 or Me, run WINIPCFG on the Host computer. Either way, you'll get an address that looks like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's represent numbers).
[*]Then, go to one of your Client machines, and type the following: PING -f -l 1500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the gateway address you obtained in the first step). You'll probably get an error message indicating that it must be fragmented. If you do, type the following: PING -f -l 1492 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx If that doesn't work, try this: PING -f -l 1454 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[*]The numbers in each of these examples (1500, 1492, 1454) are the MTU values. Continue issuing this command with lower and lower MTU numbers until you get ping responses instead of an error message. The highest MTU value that works is the one you need to be using. If an MTU of 1500 (the first command, above) does not produce an error, then this solution won't work for you.
[/list] The next step is to configure all your Client computers to use the new, lower MTU as the default for all Internet communication. Windows 2000 and XP:

[*]Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your \"Client\" machines.
[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.
[*]There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter; it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like 192.168.0.x.
[*]Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.
[*]Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
[*]Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
[*]Repeat this for each Client machine.
[/list] Windows 98/Me:

[*]Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your \"Client\" machines.
[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Class\ Net\.
[*]Under that branch, find a key (numbered, such as 0005) that contains has TCP/IP assigned to the DriverDesc value.
[*]Select New from the Edit menu, then String Value, and type MaxMTU for the name of the new value.
[*]Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
[*]Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
[*]Repeat this for each Client machine.
[/list]
Thanks buddy. I got my BSNL connection yesterday and had to cope with this. Your solution solved my problem immediately. Thanks for the post and saving our time. :D

Added to you rep.

Anyone with similar setup like me: D-Link GLB-502T and Windows XP Pro. Just follow the Windows 2000/XP Client machine procedure and change to the same MTU in the D-Link Router and you should be through. :D

A few more sites which weren't accessible earlier:

sun.com
java.com
indianrail.gov.in

They work fine now. :thumb:

Hi.lately video clips from YOUTUBE are seen running with repetaed interruptions and blockages in my wi fi laptop on plan 250 which was ok earlier. any reasons for this.please help.am based at dehradun

iam on ubuntu and have tried all possible combinations of MTU changes and they dont seem to be working on it . I have actually bought a new connection from my BSNL plan .What shud be the config ? iam on WA3002-g1

you have two options bridged mode or ppoe mode.. bridged mode requires the computer to dial the connection whereas in ppoe mode modem dials the connection.if you prefer ppoe mode follow this WA3002-g1 (Type-II) ADSL MODEM MULTIUSER CONFIGURATION .. if you prefer bridged mode then just ensure that vpi/vci 0/35 is in bridged mode and in ubuntu terminal type sudo pppoeconf and follow instructions

For MAC OS X

System Preferences > Network > Select Ethernet > Advanced > Click on the right most tab(for ethernet settings) > MTU

Change the value to your desired value in the textbox and Apply. It will work even without rebooting :)

For Linux(Tested on RHEL 5)

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX

where ethX is the interface that you want to change. There are other methods too, but that wont make the change permanent, whereas the above will make it permanent.

Hope that helps :)

I got a BSNL UL750 connection 2 weeks ago. It functioned properly for the first 2 days (was browsing all sites, speed's were good). After that i have been experiencing problems, it does not browse all sites (gmail,yahoo,etc). It does allow me to go to icicibank.com though. As suggested by some previous users on this post, I have tried changed MTU to 1492 and 1454. Tried using OpenDNS server's still the problem has not been rectified. The modem i am using is WA3002G4 (wireless). When i connect wirelessly from my laptop i am able to browse all sites properly. I tried connecting the original ethernet cable from the modem to the laptop (instead of the desktop) and all works well. Download speed is also working fine. Bsnl folks have come home and checked and told us that all is fine with the connection and the problem is at our end (with our desktop) since icicibank.com is opening up. All help will be much much appreciated.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8074/42190425jr7.png

Just took some screenshot's of the diagnostics, dunno if they are any help though.

/members/rooker/
Welcome to broadbandforum.co
Problem: YM/GMail etc does not work in Desktop computer.
OK with laptop in WIFI and direct mode.
http://i6.tinypic.com/6ur7rd3.jpg
Check settings here. select all.
Post ipconfig/all .
Confirm you are using Dialer( "Bridged" ) Or "Always On " PPP/PPPoE"
Para two:
Diagnostics test for BSNL BB connection OK.
A request : Kindly post the Device status page for records.
Nothing to do with your problem!

I just went and checked everything in access control services (FTP, HTTP, Telnet, TFTP were not checked). I am using PPPoe type connection.

Results of ipconfig/all

And im sorry, but which page do you mean by device status page?

Code:
Windows IP Configuration        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : samsung        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection:        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-C0-58-37-A6        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222                                            208.67.220.220
Thank you for the quick reply, would be a great help if this could get sorted out soon.

Back