BSNL Broadband is randomly redirecting users to their webmail service‽

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 146
  • Views Views 63,479

I just dropped incoming/outgoing using iptables on my router (OpenWRT), no more successful redirects. It still tries to redirect, but it fails. More importantly I don't lose the original url in the address bar when the redirect is attempted now. REJECT might work too instead of DROP, I may switch to REJECT some time just for shits an giggles.

For the first time I also received a redirect on my cellphone browser at 11:10 pm last night. My modem stays on 24/7 and I have never fully used my quota of 175 gb in any month in my 5 month old connection. I was watching a video on youtube and all of a sudden it stopped playing and just went into buffering mode for like 5 minutes. I opened the browser and there it was. I just opened another site and then everything was normal. This is the first time I have actually seen this.

I think we are going too much by the semantics when it comes to avoiding the "redirection". The browser or the router does not know about the "redirection". We request some IP, and in return a page is sent to us may be from same IP or ifferent IP by the servers. This is too common, and happens al; the time. Facebook may have many IP addresses and it will return right IP what it deems fit at that moment and location, but different from what we sought. This too in a way is a "redirection". Hence, there is no solution for this specially when it is routed by the ISP itself, same way if the bank itself "routes" the money from our account without our knowledge.

I got two redirects yesterday again and just before that youtube and other google services were slow as hell. Torrents and other download working at full speed. This happened two times and both times for half an hour so for almost an hour I couldn't even watch youtube videos on 240p without buffering . I normally play videos at 720p or 480p.

i just love this :)

2rGd98M.png

Everytime the modem is switched on, the first url is redireced to mail.bsnl. I blocked the site with the browser but the message still comes.

Yesterday I was booking Diwali ticket for my sis, you guys know how hard it is to get ticket from a metros to rural areas on festive seasons. After struggling lot. Finally got just one seat became available. After filling in all information carefully (I tend to make lot of mistakes while doing these kinda stuffs :D) finally I hit pay now. BAM!!! The next thing I see on my screen is mail.bsnl.in :banghead:

Back