BSNL Broadband is randomly redirecting users to their webmail service‽

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 146
  • Views Views 63,479
I am facing the same issue for the past 2 months. My modem automatically disconnects every 1 hour and after restart I am directed to mail.bsnl.in

I thought this might be due to browser hijack, I reset my chrome settings to default, installed more than 5 malware software, done a thorough clean up and even after all this I am redirected to this annoying website. Like the OP said, this is due to DNS hijack

I have temporarily blocked this website by changing the router settings. Sign into 192.168.1.1, advanced settings, parental control, block website

I am facing the same issue for the past 2 months. My modem automatically disconnects every 1 hour and after restart I am directed to mail.bsnl.in

I thought this might be due to browser hijack, I reset my chrome settings to default, installed more than 5 malware software, done a thorough clean up and even after all this I am redirected to this annoying website. Like the OP said, this is due to DNS hijack

It may not have anything with the settings in your router or on your PC ! When you connect to the network for the first time, they might be asking you to login to authenticate. Does this happen every time you close the browser and restart or clean the cookies ?
Not clear why they must do that, unless their DSL authentication or Wifi authentication is weak.

Looking at the BSNL site, it appears they are doing this to earn a quick buck through the e-com ads, which you see splashed all over !

It may not have anything with the settings in your router or on your PC ! When you connect to the network for the first time, they might be asking you to login to authenticate. Does this happen every time you close the browser and restart or clean the cookies ?
Not clear why they must do that, unless their DSL authentication or Wifi authentication is weak.

Looking at the BSNL site, it appears they are doing this to earn a quick buck through the e-com ads, which you see splashed all over !

Each time I turned on the modem, I was being redirected to mail.bsnl.in I have blocked this site through my Digisol panel. Now no more redirection, nothing :)

I am using BSNL broadband and for 3 days now, it is not working well. It keeps disconnecting in the middle of anything that i am working on and after a minute or so it connects again. Registered multiple complaints, no one yet has come to fix the problem. On the other hand, also for three days now, I am facing a new problem. That is clicking on any link or visiting any website, I am redirected to "mail.bsnl.in" automatically (have no idea why!). It asks to create a new email. In spite of fixing the Internet they are redirecting me to their mail site. Not only on my computer but on my phones and tablet, I am facing the same issue. So I tried to Google & found this page. So that means I am not the only one who is facing this stupid problem.

It is not a malware, virus, browser or routing setting issue. It is an unethical, deliberate and illegal act by BSNL.It is a scam. They are misusing their privilege. It is like toll booth people forcing the motorist to buy some goods from them.

It is deliberate, well intended business plan to market their e commerce site as well as their webmail service which they have outsourced to a private party.

They have clear instruction from somebody in the ministry to do this, in line with govt. digital India campaign.

Instead of removing this blockade, they have redesigned the page just yesterday. This clearly shows, they are working on this scam and improving it day today basis.

Somebody mentioned earlier about missing tcp package due to which the user getting redirected to this default page. But, many in BSNL agree that the user might be redirected once in a day or browsing session. If the later is true, then former is not. But, it may also be due to both reasons.

For example, how to deliberately make the tcp package or some data bite to be missed so that the user is driven to the default page again and again? I kept my router home page 192.168.1.1 open. I fiund that every few pings, the home page itself becomes blank. Then I have to reload the page once again. My public IP remains same, however couple of times, it has changed. Earlier it never used to happen.

On my mobile phone using wifi, it again and again asks me to sign in to my wifi network so that it can open the browser and to the default scam page. All this to earn few extra bucks.

I am not an expert, but this strange behavior clearly indicates fault at ISP itself. Question is what all we can do together to stop BSNL from doing this to us.

BSNL is acting as a petty hacker, not as an ISP, which continuously disconnects/connects the connection & redirecting to their mail,bsnl page. This is misuse of their power as an ISP & occurring @ random hours during the day. I stay 24/7 connected & use almost 12 hours in front of my PC. This becomes intolerable.

Back