Bsnl Broadband Problem - Very Urgent !!

• Thread starter Thread starter reachbala
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 7,503
As of now I have set "Obtain IP address & DNS automatically" in the Properties and below details come up in ipconfig/all
IP = 192.168.1.3 ........................... OK
Subnet = 255.255.255.0.................. OK
Default Gateway = 192.168.1.2........ OK USB
DHCP Server = 192.168.1.2 ..............needs change to 192.168.1.3..
DNS Server = 192.168.1.2...... needs change .

MINE:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eternet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-46-1D-A8-65
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 ( *for USB 192.168.1.2)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.220.220

Where you entered the OpenDNS ? enter in TCP/IP properties page.
Start/Network/LAN/Properties/TCP/IP properties.
Have you given DHCP range in Modem 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.1.10
Reduce MTU to 1400. See post No 8.

Hey buddy! I think u have to change to Winxp soon since this surely has something to do with ur Operating system more than anything.

I had entered Open DNS at the properties of TCP/IP only...Now that I have tried this Open DNs IP's as well as the DNS given by BSNL fellows and both doesnt seem to resolve the issue... I can go in for an Ethernet card by spending some bucks but will it again work or not ? It was working via ethernet in my friends laptop, so my guess is that it would work, but what if it wouldnt ? The bucks spent would go waste !! Also, am using this broadband through USB for past one year but did not face any issues, so i cant take it also that Ethernet is always best than USB... And one more funny thing i am experiencing on the USB. I have a Seagate 5 GB pen drive with me...When i try to copy some files or directly run/play any file from the USB drive, the comp gets restarted automatically !!! I really dunno why...this issue never came up with Win 98 its happening with Win 2k only..I have not tried testing it out with some other pen drives as am afraid some virus might come in..Any thoughts on this too ?? Have you given DHCP range in Modem 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.1.10 - How to do this ? Also i would reduce the MTU to 1400 and try as of its set to 1492 and BSNL fellows chkd this too and told 1492 is fine... How to change the DHCP server to 192.168.1.3 ? Also the SNR margin varies b/w 31.0 db to 33.5 db for upstream and downstream...I dunno the significance of this but BSNL guys told this is also fine...Will there be any issue with this ??

Answers given below:

Questions:
1.Are you connecting to Internet and able to surf with win 2k and
UT200r2u modem programmed for USB port only. CONFIRM. - Yes
Your original complaint some web sites not opening and slow speed - Exactly, some sites do start loading the page but never completes. For eg, the page has some 200 pics to load in small sizes, it loads only 10 to 15 of it and browser keeps swirling on and on.....Also download never happens...it just starts and keep on going without any progress...Guess this should be because of the slow speed. My friend uses "Net Meter" software to monitor the broad band speed (he also has a BSNL broadband connection 500 plan) and we saw the speed was good enough when we connected my BSNL connection on to his ethernet port of laptop, also we were able to download some files too...
2. Now are you connecting to Internet in "always on" Mode ?
- No, I do not use it in "Always on" mode...Only when needed to surf, I switch on the modem...Mostly when i use my comp mainly for internet only, so would switch on the modem when starting the PC.

@reachbala
UPDATE: slow speed/ some sites do not open/ computer hangs/ MTU changes did not help.
INFO :.Modem OK. settings ok. ( On USB Port)
so would switch on the modem when starting the PC.
right.
I also do the same .
Action :
Do a speed test at speedtest.net mumbai server now.
2. INFO available : Computer. Formatted recently and OS W2k SP4
Wanted :a) Mother board Intel P11/ PIII etc
b) Available RAM
c)Programs at startup.
d)browser used IE6 / firefox /opera/ any other. .

I am using IE 5.0 as it comes with Win 2k. When i enter Speedtest.net, it asks for Flash version 7 to be installed, and of course the pblm is that i cant download anything...so nt able to do anything with tht site...And if i try to get IE 6.0, it requires online installation and hence doesnt work...

I have installed Firefox 1.5 and tested all the above with that browser, but it doesnt seem to work either...

Wanted :a) Mother board Intel P11/ PIII etc - PII 333MHz
b) Available RAM - 128 MB
c)Programs at startup. - Not sure on this but definitely but not much get loaded
d)browser used IE6 / firefox /opera/ any other. .- IE 5.0, Firefox 1.5

@^^^

I think your pc is perfectly fine for running windows XP..but make sure u turn off a few process( ie system restore etc)so that XP wont eat ur system resources.

@members/reachbala/
Q What is your budget for upgrading your computer ?
Genuine XP Home edition + Sp2 will cost Rs 4000 to Rs 5000/=
Updates will cease this June 30th 2008.
Pirated copies, use it at your own risk.

- Not sure on this but definitely but not much get loaded/
Fine. Exit all of them except Antivirus program, if any.

Option 1 Can you ask your friend/s to download IE6 and IE7 ( not from Windows web site )and firefox latest2.0 from the web and give you the cd. for installation ? .
Firefox uses heavy memory ( exceed 100 MB at times )and your 128 MB RAM is not sufficient. IE 6 will be better and uses approx 30 to 40MB, but slow. Opera also very fast but Memory demand is also heavy.
You have to have addition 128 MB RAM of the same type installed in your computer .

TRY speed test here :DATAONE BROADBAND - Bandwidth Meter

Back