BSNL Broadband Usage History

• Thread starter Thread starter nandu_n
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 244
  • Views Views 170,332
not likely..might be some problem with ur connection itself..my frnd cant connect after 6 in eve and not bfore..5 am.. the guy came and said thats cos of the street lights..:|dont know what..?

Hi all,I am new to this forum and a new customer of BSNL broadband. I purchased 500c plan and I got it installed on 15th of this month. After a week on 22nd I called 1500 to know my usage for the week I had. I was give the user id and password to login to data.bdnl.in to check myself. I was very shocked to see my usage has exceed the limit with a total usage of around 2600 MB in a week time and chargable of 1178 MB. I did not use broadband so much as it says. I did not download anything or even watch a film online. Just normal browsing was done around 3-4 hrs a day max.I did not use internet after I saw that on 22nd. 22, 23 I did not use it completely and I used on 24 n 25th just for 1 or 2 hrs.Today again on checking the usage it says I have an excess of 2 gb chargable. Also for the days (24 n 25) I used internet it did not show and for the day 23rd it shows that I did use it.24 n 25 I used broadband but it does not come up in the usage table. I also find many nights even with my computer off usage is being show. How is it possible with my computer being switched off completely?PLZZZZZZZZ help. How can get out this issue? I did made a complaint to BSNL taking a print out of usage it shows. I find many nights broadband is being used and many days with continous usage of 12 hrs and 14 hrs. Which even my computer was not on so long.I have wireless and its secured from day1. So for I find around 3.5 GB of total usage in 10 days time and its too much and too shocking to see so much for 500c plan I took.Any way to sort this problem?Plzz help me.Thanks.

well 24th and 25th usage can take time to come on the portal ( there is a delay SOMETIMES ) . There could be many reasons for this.1)Someone else is using your account . To confirm this , switch off your modem completely for 1 day and the next day check your portal usage , if it shows usage during that day it means somebody else is using your account2)Another possibility , is windows updates,antivirus updates, some virus downloading files , somebody using internet through your insecure wifi network etc ...

There are mainly 2 possibilities

1. You can connect to internet by simply switching On your modem. ie, you need not enter user name and password using a dialer to connect to internet. In that case, if you keep your modem On and shutdown your computer the connection remains On and you will be charged.

2. Your computer has a virus infection. In that case your usage will go up exponentially. This can happen even if you have a firewall and a good antivirus. I changed svchost.exe settings to ask to avoid this.

The only way to avoid this is to monitor the usage regularly. BSNL sites may not be reliable for this. Most of us use a bandwidth meter for this purpose.

Click here to download. Please go through this link

4 Ways to Check BSNL Broadband Usage

Since your usage is high, a written complaint with receipt to the Nodal officer or Appellate authority will be useful. You can find the address and phone no behind your phone bill.

Hope this helped.

well 24th and 25th usage can take time to come on the portal ( there is a delay SOMETIMES ) . There could be many reasons for this.
1)Someone else is using your account . To confirm this , switch off your modem completely for 1 day and the next day check your portal usage , if it shows usage during that day it means somebody else is using your account
2)Another possibility , is windows updates,antivirus updates, some virus downloading files , somebody using internet through your insecure wifi network etc ...

A you mention about the time delay for 24 n 25th, I did check again today. After 23rd it jumps derectly to 26th. no usage is shown inspite of using the broadband. 23rd 3 times usage has been recorded inspite of my computer being switched on 22nd. Very strange to see this.

My wifi is secured and I have a security key for that. I really dont understand why this happens. Only on 26th I find the usage to be reasonable. like 12 MB for the 2 hrs I was online. It must be the case normally but 3.5 GB is extra ordinary usage.

Software updates is possible but I dont think windows vista home premium does so much in 1 week. On day 2 of installation I woke up at 4am and updated my system and windows showed me that its up to date. All done before 7 am. My system is new and possibility of virus is too less as it was hardly used.

I completely switched off the modem and checked, no usage is shown for that day.

I feel like some thing faulty is happening in BSNL system to show so much usage for no reason and show no usage for the days I used broadband.

There are mainly 2 possibilities

1. You can connect to internet by simply switching On your modem. ie, you need not enter user name and password using a dialer to connect to internet. In that case, if you keep your modem On and shutdown your computer the connection remains On and you will be charged.

2. Your computer has a virus infection. In that case your usage will go up exponentially. This can happen even if you have a firewall and a good antivirus. I changed svchost.exe settings to ask to avoid this.

The only way to avoid this is to monitor the usage regularly. BSNL sites may not be reliable for this. Most of us use a bandwidth meter for this purpose.

Click here to download. Please go through this link

4 Ways to Check BSNL Broadband Usage

Since your usage is high, a written complaint with receipt to the Nodal officer or Appellate authority will be useful. You can find the address and phone no behind your phone bill.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for your reply. It was very usefull.

I do consider your point, but I too have a question. When you switch off your system completely, it is suppose to have no link to modem or technically internet is not used by the system to make any data or bytes to be transfer between the modem and the system.

When no byte transfer is possible how can one be charged?
I have a wireless enable/disable button in my system. when I move out of my system I disable wiress in my computer and enable when I come back. So I am techincally not using internet/ internet is not connected to my computer.

I really wonder how BSNL can charge for not using it?

I did make a complaint to local BSNL office and just waiting for them to reply me.

One officer responded saying such complaints came in 2005/2006 and nowadays we dont get it.

Dont know how to get out of this upcomming big bill.

Thanks for your reply. It was very usefull.

I do consider your point, but I too have a question. When you switch off your system completely, it is suppose to have no link to modem or technically internet is not used by the system to make any data or bytes to be transfer between the modem and the system.

When no byte transfer is possible how can one be charged?
I have a wireless enable/disable button in my system. when I move out of my system I disable wiress in my computer and enable when I come back. So I am techincally not using internet/ internet is not connected to my computer.

I really wonder how BSNL can charge for not using it?

I did make a complaint to local BSNL office and just waiting for them to reply me.

One officer responded saying such complaints came in 2005/2006 and nowadays we dont get it.

Dont know how to get out of this upcomming big bill.
We connect internet through Ethernet cable. It is like accessing a network. When you disable wireless, network is active, but you are not benefiting from it that is all. It is like a man standing outside your closed door. He will get tired waiting there no matter you open the door or not unless you relive him.

You can check yourselves. Use net for 1 hour. Note the start and end time. Switch off and on the modem. Shutdown the system and leave the modem on for one hour. Again log in to the computer and switch off the modem. Check your BSNL website when the usage is updated. Check how much was consumed when the system was off.

If it is a virus, you may need to format C and reinstall Windows. In the worse case, you may need to format the PC as the virus may be present in other drives too and come back.

Another possibility is that someone is hacking your connection. It can happen if your connection is not port binded. Talk to the Senior Divisional Engineer (SDE) and enquire.

To check the virus infection. Leave you PC connected to internet for 1 hour. Simply browse something and do not use internet for one hour. I believe you have downloaded the Bandwidth meter. Check the usage after one hour. If your PC is infected, it will show some 50 - 100 MB for an hour.

I had similar problems. I switched to UL 750 (256 Kbps unlimited) and now I have peace of mind. :)

well i dont think just leaving your modem no ( with no pc on ) will use so much bandwidth , i dont think it would even exceed 500kb , i might be wrong.. but technically it shouldnt.. since you said you logged in 24th and 25th and it hasnt been logged , i think yes , there is something wrong , hard to convince the bsnl people about this..

I can actually prove that I used bb on 24th n 25th from my browser history but I not sure how much it will help me get this problem solved.

I contacted SDE and they say having modem on must not be a problem n it will not consume so much of bandwidth. Bandwidth is supposed to be lost only when we restart the modem each time by making it communicating to the server n having it on will not consume any bandwidth with out actually using it. This what they said me.

I checked for virus in my pc as you suggested but for the past 2 days after I made complaint I find the usage to match what it says. I does not exceed more than 30- 40 mb per day for 4-5 hrs of usage I did for the past 2 days. not bad for the time n usage it shows now. But the initial figure of 2.5 GB for 1 week it shows is too much n has already crossed 2 GB excess to pay at 80 paise per MB.

Really struck to find a solution to get out of this issue.

----------

Can post the Snap shot of usage please i can't get u mate ?:huh:

Why screenshot?

I have attached the excel sheet I downloaded.

Download excel.xls from FileFactory.com

I can actually prove that I used bb on 24th n 25th from my browser history but I not sure how much it will help me get this problem solved.

I contacted SDE and they say having modem on must not be a problem n it will not consume so much of bandwidth. Bandwidth is supposed to be lost only when we restart the modem each time by making it communicating to the server n having it on will not consume any bandwidth with out actually using it. This what they said me.

I checked for virus in my pc as you suggested but for the past 2 days after I made complaint I find the usage to match what it says. I does not exceed more than 30- 40 mb per day for 4-5 hrs of usage I did for the past 2 days. not bad for the time n usage it shows now. But the initial figure of 2.5 GB for 1 week it shows is too much n has already crossed 2 GB excess to pay at 80 paise per MB.

Really struck to find a solution to get out of this issue.[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

----------

[/COLOR]

Why screenshot?

I have attached the excel sheet I downloaded.

Download excel.xls from FileFactory.com

i got u r point .........

First of all how will connect to internet ......... like Dialup though PPPoe or inserted in the modem .....

and please change the default passwords if not changed..........

are u using wifi ?

https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/46980-bsnl-broadband-common-questions/

For a day please try to use Bandwidth monitor software that will track u how much u r actually using the bandwidth dude .......

Back