Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,689
@rajil.s Thank you.

@hariselio My Airtel Huawei ONU gets an ONT ID while the ODI stick gets an ID of 0.

Huawei

ObZRt28.png

ODI stick
E1cffiJ.png

I suspect the ODI is not provisioned fully hence Internet is working, but Voip is failing.

@rajil.s for me also it shows 0 for ONU ID.

Did you ever used any other ONT by serial number cloning? And are you able to make it work VOIP with that? If i'm not wrong, even though Huawei ONT is owned by you, but its provisioned by airtel officially. Why i'm asking this question is, My VOIP was not working with my huawei 8120C also even after configuring all the parameters as in one of your other thread specific to VOIP discussions. So i thought may be Airtel does MAC binding or something related for VOIP activation. Since VOIP was not used by me, i left it without connecting.

Yes with the Airtel Huawei router bridged to the pfsense router voip works, no problems. I did not have to do any mac cloning on pfsense to get voip working via Huawei router. Pfsense is able to route traffic over vlan660 to the upstream voip gateway.

So if pfsense works with the Huawei router without any mac binding, it is the huawei router which must be getting check by the airtel firewall.

For the odi stick I have tried cloning the mac of the Huawei router to the ODI stick but it did not help. Ping to the upstream gateway are dropped and I can't even reach the upstream gateway.

I am not sure if the routing on the ODI stick is not setup right or if I missed to clone something.

For you I would suggest register a complaint airtel and let them come over to setup the voip profile on the original ONT (dasan?). That way you will know the ip address and gateway details for voip. Later on you can switch back to sfp stick and mimicing the setup on your Mikrotik.

Last edited:
@rajil.s VOIP works fine in my Dasan ONT. I tried configuring the same in Huawei ONT, but i could not succeed. As i said, VOIP was not priority for me, never put more effort and left it. Will try again first in Huawei, if i get success, then experiment with ODI.

@rajil.s Not yet, will update here if i find anything. As of now i'm out of city, connecting home through VPN, so do not want to mess with the settings. Will experiment once i'm back home!

@hariselio I was able to get VOIP working with the ODI stick.

I had to change the FwdOp of VID 660 from 0x04 to 0x02.

Out of the box the config as follows:
Code:
# omcicli mib get 84
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
VlanTagFilterData
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
=================================
EntityID: 0x01
FilterTbl[0]: PRI 0,CFI 0, VID 100
FwdOp:  0x04
NumOfEntries: 1
EntityID: 0x02
FilterTbl[0]: PRI 0,CFI 0, VID 660
EntityID: 0x03
FilterTbl[0]: PRI 0,CFI 0, VID 100

The FwdOp for VID 660 can be changed using,
Code:
# omcicli mib set 84 0x02 FwdOp 0x02

With this change the upstream voip gateway is pingable ( and calls work). The only limitation is that the setting gets reset after a stick reboot. I am looking for way to make that permanent.

Back