Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,688
haha regarding fiber cut its the same thing here too. they just splice it and tape it haha. though i simply refused when this happened to me. told them don't do it and they went back. same day i got call from airtel that is the net working now. i said no and told them same story. and later in evening they came with full wire block hhaha

and for me wire is 300meter long. it gets cut once a year when tree shedding takes place by municipal council team.

Bhai how can I connect to pfsense and get internet working.
Do we need to change transparent mode to pvid.
Then after entering pvid to assigned vlan.
in pfsense only pppeo username and password gets internet working or we need to add vlan there also

Last edited:
Hey, Recenlty i got my new connection of Airtel Xstream broadband DASAN Networks(H660GM-A), I don't want to use landline telephone, wanted to use VoIP/SIP softphone, I tried several things i kenw but nothing worked out, Please help, setting up. These many details I have gathered SIP server, Proxy Server, domain from logs and router.
how to setup?

Hi, I am unable to ping or access the web interface on my HSGQ / ODI SFP, type SC-APC, at 192.168.1.1 when it is plugged into a Mikrotik RB5009.
I can set an IP like 192.168.1.2 to the SFP and ping that from the RB5009 and my LAN but not 192.168.1.1.
MwZI6ge.png

The other issue is no link is detected by the SFP module when I plug the fiber in.
If I plug it back into the Airtel router, the Fiber light and internet are restored immediately.

I have tried setting the SFP MAC to the one from my router, but since I cannot access the SFP module itself, I cant change it there or set MAC password.
What am I missing here?

@Strykar Interface is not in running state. Connect fiber to the SFP, It'll go into running state and then you can access it.

It's an annoying quirk in Mikrotik. It will not let you access sfp interface unless it is in running state, Or maybe we should have a toggle to have sfp always report itself as running even when there is nothing connected to it.

And since you are using rb5009, Please let me know if you are also seeing tx queue drops on the sfp interface or other ethernet interfaces after a while? (I am on 7.13.{1,2}) and have seen these problems.

@Strykar Do you have matching termination on SFP and the fiber cable? APC - APC or UPC - UPC or are they different ?

Looks like there might be some problem with the SFP if you have matching termination and it's still not detecting any signals at all!

What is the rx signal strength in Nokia/isp issued cpe ?

Back