Can I plug in GPON/EPON into an SFP Port on a network switch and get rid of ONT?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 37,688
As I mentioned on top, it is SC (APC) and when I plug it back into the Airtel router, the Airtel router's Fiber light and Internet start working again instantly.

Perhaps the sfp is damaged? I can't think of any other reason why it will not detect it. 🤔

Luckily I have another SFP I can try.
I was thinking the OLT may be refusing a link since the MAC address does not match?

All of that should come up later with GPON states. It has to send signals even if it then decides to reject it.

Just tested the other SFP, same issue, its highly unlikely both are not working.
What else could it be?

Could it actually be SC UPC and not APC? This was something the Airtel guys confirmed by calling someone their office which is why I ordered APC. Connector is also green, I believe UPC is generally blue.

afaik, The difference is on just the client side. On their side, they could be using upc/apc, it should not matter. On your side, It's apc if the connector is green.

I am not sure what could be going on here. I have not seen a problem like this before.

@ishanjain28 talking about these drops??
E5GNl65.png

@Strykar check if it shows module present?/

TEZaMh9.png

for the sfp to work you must get O5 state on odi stick on its webpage.
also I have the blue connector that goes into my odi while the green one goes in airtel termination box

@anmolbhard004 I cannot even ping the HGSQ module, much less SSH or browse to query its O5 state.
It shows module present, but Rx loss shows checked.
Does it show a link to you plug in your fiber to the RB5009? Can you share a screenshot?

Please share your Ethernet and General tab config screenshots too.

Back