Enabling Bridge mode not possible now without static IP address because of CG-NAT?

• Thread starter Thread starter archduke
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 2,696
ISP
Airtel XStream
Hello,

Got a new Airtel Xstream Broadband connection and after reading the posts here I contacted 121 to enable bridge mode on the Airtel provided router GX-2122A.

I got a call back today and they told me bridge mode not possible because of CG-NAT and hence opting of static IP is the only way to avoid CG-NAT. I have seen here that static IP upselling is something they try to do. Hence asking here if there is actually no way to do this?

I find it extremely frustrating that I can't even use my own router. This dumb router airtel has given has frequent "drops" in connection, can't assign static DCHP address to client, can't set a local DNS provider etc.

How do I go about this? Thanks.

Either they don't know what is bridge mode, or they're upselling Static IP. There is no relation between bridge mode and CG-NATted IP. Try to escalate the issue to senior enginner. Better write a mail.

Probably they have started binding MAC addresses, although cannot check. But I can say that in cgnat the pool in which my ip was had an issue in bridge mode. Even after getting bridge mode enabled that could just last for 10mins and permanently disconnected after that. So they are again copying Jio to screw us.

@gmaster That's what I was thinking, I have been continuously writing emails to 121 as I knew these local technicians might not know about all this. I even asked them to elevate this to managers.

Since I don't know much about CGNAT I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for confirming.

They have assigned a technician to come visit today. Let's see.

I have been using Airtel Xstream in bridge mode for almost 2 years. I called CC for this. They didn't know what a bridge mode is. I wrote a mail clearly describing what I want. Then one engineer from their NOC team called and enabled it from backend.

Almost all smaller ISPs are CGNATted. But bridge mode is not an issue there.

Update after the technician visit: No progress made. I asked the guy to change the router and he said that it's not possible because of some billing issue which will apparently get resolved by tomorrow. He had the Sercomm AOT-4221SR on firmware version R40 and I checked what all settings are available. At least in this DCHP server settings, DNS settings are accessible. Not sure why this wasn't the router given to me in the first place. I am going to try raising a request on more time. If it doesn't happen, I am going to cancel the connection and change this trash ISP.

PSA to any advanced users trying to get airtel as the provider: Don't choose any 6M or 12M longterm plans. Take the one month plan and see if all things you want are accessible.

@archduke no, I asked for disconnection. They refused to change my pool. Xz000-g7 is also not working(always registered) didn't had much option. Thinking of business plan @40 Mbps if there is bridge mode or I am fine with mach1 500mbps @3533 for 180days

@archduke sorry I have deleted old mails.

But may be my story can help you. Initially I had an airtel connection with Nokia ONT which had bridge mode settings inbuilt, just enabling it would do the work. Later I had to close the connection due to billing issue. After the issue was resolved, I again took another airtel connection (tried Jio in between, it was not worth the money). This time they provided ZTE. No bridge mode (had to inspect element and enable it, but it's troublesome and there is a possibility of reset by TR-069 command from backend).

So called CC for native bridge mode. They didn't understand. Now I mailed at [email protected], subject was request for change of router, specifically saying about the bridge mode that's available in Nokia/Huawei ONT and urging that either provide me the same facility from backend or change my router to a Nokia one. That's it.

Back