Excitel Broadband Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter apuw
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 5,003
i am paying for the lowest 50mbps plan. 100mbps is a bit much for my hardware and i am not ready to upgrade to gigabit lan hardware right now. would need significant investment for little gain.

OK, thanks for replying. A follow-up question, I called the Excitel guy who is responsible for distributing connection in my locality. I was interested in the Rs. 995 - 100Mbps unlimited connection and I informed him the same.
To this he replies, "the 100Mbps connection in your area would require a Rs. 5000 router to be installed to attain full speeds. By default, we are distributing the Rs. 695 (50Mbps) plan in your area.".

Now you also said that 100mbps might require a special router, but surely I can get a router to support a 100mbps connection at lower price? 5k seems a bit much. Suggestions?

Last edited:
100mbps would be supported by a cheapo 1000 rupee router. his local network might not be capable of delivering 100mbps at end users because of congestion.

unless there is a good reason, there is no point of going for a 75mbps or 100mbps connection. you would rarely get that much speed on non-peered servers.

LEL. It seemed as such. He was a little hesitant with allotting a 100Mbps plan and simply overstated the price to serve as a deterrence. Thanks for the advice though. :)

they are overselling services without upgrading the last mile connectivity. as a result some of us barely manage to get 5mbps during congestion periods. it's best to stick with the cheapest plan and keep expectations low. excitel needs to switch to fiber for last mile connectivity if they plan to keep selling 50-100mbps plans and overselling them.

unless there is a good reason, there is no point of going for a 75mbps or 100mbps connection. you would rarely get that much speed on non-peered servers.

Nope, I don't have any strong reason.

I read your replies in this forum and though maybe a 100mbps connection might flair better at peek hours (8pm-midnight). Also, I thought a higher price band might mean slightly less people subscribed and thus, slightly lesser congestion.

Do either of the arguments hold any ground?

i doubt so. whatever the package, you have the same ethernet cable coming to your place. if it is overloaded, your plan speed would not matter at all. it's pretty much like water supply. you can have a wider pipeline at your place. if the supply is fucked up, it would not matter in the end.

@Sushubh aren't these guys are using that strange ethernet cable which only has 4 wires in it ? cause if they are what's the point in investing a gigabit router when you are going to be limited to 100 mbps because of those 4 wires.

i doubt i would get anywhere close to 100mbps on my current wireless setup. so i would prefer to invest in gigabit routers and access points when i eventually upgrade from the mess i have created at my place.

Back