Few questions about Reliance Wireline (Broadband) internet

• Thread starter Thread starter stirredo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 139
  • Views Views 35,175
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i hav got some questions too as i saw the plans and they are really good....1) currently they have no FUP right ?? so can i expect that this wud be the same for the years to come... ?? i mean i dont want to see FUP imposed after i take the connection2) What is the uptime of the services ??? 100% or is there any downtime.. i mean serious downtime... like outage for 3 to 4 days at a stretch3) any particular Site or Torrent Trackers blocked or any plans from reliance to do so4) Do i need a reliance phone to hav the net5) As they are stating 1 Mbps in Day and 2 Mbps in night... So what are the respective Download speeds6) how is the performance when it comes to streaming media like Youtube/Dailymotion7) And Lastly "Do they spy".. i mean wud they be interested to spy on what i download or upload... basically any conflicts while downloading or sharing copyrighted materials??? I am inclined to take this connection due to its speeds and more imp coz of its equal upload and download speeds... which wud help me maintain ratios on torrent trackers...

1) Reliance has not stated anything on this topic yet, But for the time being there is no FUP. We can just hope that they do not implement this.2)It depends from area to area, in my locality sometimes the service is down from days to week, But its been stable from last 6 weeks (Touchwood). You need to have good relation with the local technician & he may help you to resolve it quickly in case there is any issue.3) Am not aware of this, and as far as I know.. Reliance is not blocking anything, Myself & several other members download lot of stuffs from torrents.4) You don’t need to take a phone to use Reliance internet, But they have fantastic plans which can be used only if you have there phone (Combo Plans)5) Day- 100kbps & Night 200kbps (In fact sometimes I have got close to 250kbps)6) It depends on which plan you are, Am able to watch YouTube videos without buffering on my 600kbps plan.7) I have absolutely no idea about it, May be other members can throw some light on this.

Hi, This thread was very useful for me. Is Reliance Broadnet metro ethernet or ADSL? Asking since they siad they might have to install a modem at my home.

@ganeshran - Its ADSL, they will Install this Wired Telephone line and an ADSL modem to connect to the Internet.You will have to visit Reliance Login Site first (i.e. browsing internet) and have to Login using ID and password ./

@ganeshran - Its ADSL, they will Install this Wired Telephone line and an ADSL modem to connect to the Internet.
You will have to visit Reliance Login Site first (i.e. browsing internet) and have to Login using ID and password ./

I think its both ADSL and metro ethernet and they give depending on availabiliy.

err What's this login daily stuff about? Not like your normal always on Ethernet connections eh? That sucks actually. The other sad thing is not providing the wireless modem and the numerous issues mentioned about the same. I want to feel free to step away from my computer knowing that its not going to auto log off and shit and I don't have to be fidgeting with settings and stuff just to get it working... I am waiting to hear for quite some time from the Reliance sales guy, was told that it is feasible in my area in Chennai, so waiting?!Am still in second thoughts whether to go with the BSNL 512 kbps unlimited connection since they provide wireless modem. No initial charges offer also on right now till next month so really tempted at least that seemed pretty easy to set up by the (old)man who came by!!! But please be ready with tacks and shit bcoz there's gonna be a messy wiring session ; ) I really had a fun time doing my usual untangle and align job at my aunt's place that I so often do with my friends' computers and A/V equipment!!! Damn am getting good at it. Wish it pays though :*(

i think i ahve the best plan of reliance

Where you live ? and which plan do you have ?

ok i hav got some questions too as i saw the plans and they are really good....

1) currently they have no FUP right ?? so can i expect that this wud be the same for the years to come... ?? i mean i dont want to see FUP imposed after i take the connection

2) What is the uptime of the services ??? 100% or is there any downtime.. i mean serious downtime... like outage for 3 to 4 days at a stretch

3) any particular Site or Torrent Trackers blocked or any plans from reliance to do so

4) Do i need a reliance phone to hav the net

5) As they are stating 1 Mbps in Day and 2 Mbps in night... So what are the respective Download speeds

6) how is the performance when it comes to streaming media like Youtube/Dailymotion

7) And Lastly "Do they spy".. i mean wud they be interested to spy on what i download or upload... basically any conflicts while downloading or sharing copyrighted materials???

I am inclined to take this connection due to its speeds and more imp coz of its equal upload and download speeds... which wud help me maintain ratios on torrent trackers...

1) Yes, as of now, no FUP. And believe me, i called them up on Customer care - the guy sitting there, and his "Expert" senior too were alien to the terms - FUP & Torrents!!
2) When you are really unlucky, you may get such kind of downtime of 3-4 days. I will be fair and say - when that happens, the CC is really bad. You have to abuse them to come at your residence. But still its better than MTNL. They dont come even after abusing!!
And yes - such downtimes are very RARE PHENOMENA......
3) As i mentioned in pt. no 1 - they are alien to Torrents!!
4) As Piyush mentioned - their Combo deals are best. So its better to go for Landline. And to top it - the Phone scheme isnt bad either!!
I will tell you my current scenario - i have 2 PCs in 2 different rooms in my home. 1 of them already had a Reliance connection, and other has (will become "was" shortly) MTNL. I have already booked a new scheme for this 2nd PC, which is with Phone - yes i will be having 2 phones now!!
5) I have a 300 kbps plan already, and have booked another one for the new one....reason - the speed is so good on 300, that i dont really feel like even shelling out Rs. 650pm for the double speed!!
For the stats - i get a Download speed of 35 kBps on an average.....at times it even peaks to 40 odd!! Imagine a 300 kbps connection peaking to 40....sometimes it goes below 30 - the reason is silly - suddenly if 2-3 seeders go offline, then the torrent client takes time to Activate another queued torrent!!
6) On my 300kbps connection, i do have to wait a while....but if you are opting for 1 mbps......i think the video will get downloaded fully by the time you have reached half way thru the video - just my estimate though!!
7) AFAIK, no ISP can actually spy on anything that you do on internet. Agree that they do keep a log, but they cannot go through it just to see what each & every user is doing - it will be infringement of your privacy if they do so. Unless they find strong reasons to spy on you, they cant. When i say strong - i mean to say Anti-social activities.

err What's this login daily stuff about? Not like your normal always on Ethernet connections eh? That sucks actually. The other sad thing is not providing the wireless modem and the numerous issues mentioned about the same. I want to feel free to step away from my computer knowing that its not going to auto log off and shit and I don't have to be fidgeting with settings and stuff just to get it working... I am waiting to hear for quite some time from the Reliance sales guy, was told that it is feasible in my area in Chennai, so waiting?! :*(

Mate, it doesnt get disconnected when you get away from your PC - i login once, start my downloads, and shut off my Monitor. Anytime i just check up, its just running fine, and no disconnections. I track that by tracking the Average Down & Up speeds. So dont worry, after you login once, its all yous, until you Specifically "Log-out", or turn off your computer.....

To all who have queries on Reliance Wired line.....
Friends, all in all its a good bet to have - coz the speeds are really good, and unless you are very unlucky, you dont get to face annoyingly long downtimes....in fact i dont even face small downtimes on regular basis.
No FUP, no Torrent throttlers, nothing. To add to it, they have great Phone schemes that couple up with Broadband schemes.
Just 1 caveat - When you face the long downtime anytime in your life, you have to stoop to low levels to get things rectified!!
We had to do that about thrice or four times since installing our line FIRST TIME IN Dec or Jan of 2007 - 2008.....So you can imagine, its very rare phenonmenon.

Do ask me any more questions you have - as you can see, i am very experienced in using their services!!

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

PS: Too long post na???

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Another PS: If you have questions, then do read it word to word, Its long, but i have shared a lot of my past experience!!

@ganeshran - Its ADSL, they will Install this Wired Telephone line and an ADSL modem to connect to the Internet.
You will have to visit Reliance Login Site first (i.e. browsing internet) and have to Login using ID and password ./

Are you sure it is ADSL?
Other users have confirmed that the upload speed is the same as the download. This is not normal for ADSL where the upload speed is much lower than download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back