Google killing free legacy Google Apps accounts on May 1, 2022

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 4,813
Waiting for the day when we will be asked to pay for Gmail.

This was bound to happen after they nuked majority of the "free" products that can bring in significant revenue for them. I don't think gmail will ever be monetized separately, because they are doing that now through storage.

You will find out on May 1. :P I am sure they will mail it soon.

Administrators will have until July 1st to enter payment information into Google (if they haven’t already), and Google won’t start charging a subscription fee until July 1st. If no payment information is entered, Google will suspend the account for 60 days, after which users won’t be able to access Workspace’s “core services,” like Gmail, Calendar, and Meet.

If I don’t want to upgrade to a paid subscription, can I transfer my data?
In the coming months, we'll provide an option for you to move your non-Google Workspace paid content and most of your data to a no-cost option. This new option won't include premium features like custom email or multi-account management. You'll be able to evaluate this option prior to July 1, 2022 and prior to account suspension. We'll update this article with details in the coming months.

What if I use G Suite legacy free edition for personal use and don't want to upgrade to a Google Workspace subscription?

Upgrading to a Google Workspace subscription is a seamless transition for all customers currently on the G Suite legacy free edition. However, we understand some customers may not use their G Suite legacy free edition for business and may be interested in other options. If you have 10 or fewer users in your group and do not use your G Suite legacy free edition for business, please sign in to your administrator account to provide more information
Has anyone tried this option I don't find any new info in my admin login.

Sent today. Now to decide what to do.
Google Workspace logo

Dear Administrator,
We are writing to let you know that your G Suite legacy free edition will no longer be available starting July 1, 2022. To maintain your services and accounts, you need to upgrade to Google Workspace.
We launched our G Suite legacy free edition —the original Google Apps offering for businesses and schools— 16 years ago. In 2012 we discontinued this service, and we will now transition all remaining users to an upgraded Google Workspace paid subscription based on your usage.

What does this mean for my organization?​

In 2020, we introduced —Google Workspace— and tailored our offerings to provide more options to fit our customers’ needs. Google Workspace includes all the features you already use, plus several new capabilities including more storage, increased security, 24/7 support, and more.
Upgrading from your G Suite legacy free edition to Google Workspace will only take you a few short steps and is not disruptive to your end-users. To support you in this transition, you will have discount options for 12 months after July 1, 2022.

What do I need to do?​

To avoid disruption and maintain your account(s), please upgrade to Google Workspace by May 1, 2022. Begin the upgrade by reviewing the transition help center article, and selecting the option that best suits your organization’s needs. When you've identified your preferred subscription:
  1. Go to your Admin console.
  2. Select your new subscription offering.
  3. Enter your billing information.
Once you’re upgraded, you can use your new Google Workspace subscription and functionality at no-cost until at least July 1, 2022.
If you take no action by May 1, 2022, Google will begin upgrading your organization seamlessly to a new Google Workspace subscription. The new subscription will be based on what you currently use with your G Suite legacy free edition.
If you do not enter your billing details before July 1, 2022, your subscription will be suspended.
If your needs have changed and you do not want to upgrade to a Google Workspace subscription, you can export your organization’s data with the takeout feature.

FAQs​

Visit the help center for information on the G Suite legacy free edition to Google Workspace transition.

We’re here to help​

If you have questions or need assistance, please Contact Google Workspace support. When you call or submit your support case, reference issue number 205265775. If you have trouble accessing your administrator account, please refer to instructions to reset your administrator password.
Thanks for choosing Google Workspace.
– The Google Workspace Team
© 2022 Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

AD-FnEzC5aancwrht20DsvJrSMCKZswJv5hoBLln8rAp6pmxFA.gif

Back