Google killing free legacy Google Apps accounts on May 1, 2022

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 4,813
An article I saw now. Another article on this site says Google will be sending emails to all administrators about the changes, I have received none so far. I became aware only because this thread. Anyone received emails from Google about the changes & what they have in mind????

Latest info... Upgrade from G Suite legacy free edition - Google Workspace Admin Help . Quick summary: Users will be able to select a no-cost option at a future date and they will be put in a waiting list until the transition. No service will be affected during the transition.

Update: It is still confusing. According to Google, basic features will be free on no-cost option. As per Google, emails with a custom domain is a premium feature that requires the upgrade to a paid plan.

Update 2: The migration is postponed by a month (to June 1 and charges are from August 1 for automatic upgrade). Also for those who upgrade voluntarily, Google provides 6 months of free edition and another 12 months at 50% discount. Clearly Google wants a voluntary action to avoid litigation in some countries.

Last edited:
kUX0t7y.webp

Looks like a decent offer. The problem will be in October 2023 when I will have to switch to paying 210 rs/month for it. Hmm.

And wait. If I don't switch to it voluntarily, I will lose the first free 6 months?

Yes.

I got a similar pricing but with pricing in USD. At 3 per month for that 12 months.

I will probably be moving away from Google Workspace after a couple of years. I wished that the no-cost option would include Gmail. Now, it is certain that it is a premium feature that requires a subscription.

Good news. Emails with custom domains are here to stay for personal use. Please see the screenshots below...

Back