Google Nexus 5

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,651
  • Views Views 152,770
I have used more than 3GB on my moto g and if there was any such restriction on these devices I should have got a warning by now.

My dad has a mmx phone and it has clearly specified limit on the memory available for apps. The free memory mentioned for apps is separate from the 1GB internal card memory they offer. I don't think you can install apps past that limitation. Though haven't tried coz he doesn't use many apps.

Yup. From what I understand Nexus devices treat the entire storage as a single partition. Micromax appears to have an internal partition or memory card in addition to primary storage which pretty much messes up the user experience. The last time I got a low storage message on a Nexus device was on a Nexus One. It came with very little internal storage I think with a 4GB storage card. After that, I have never had low storage issue!

Can I use the entire storage space on my Nexus 5 32GB for apps? Or there is a partition and apps can only be installed on a smaller portion of that? Friend claims that on devices with internal storage, apps would automatically start using the bigger partition (in case of Knight) for data storage. If this is the case, why does the manufacturer clearly mention the 1.5GB restriction on the tech specs page?
You can use entire storage space on nexus for installing apps.
There's setting in android settings for some android builds of different brands. I can confirm for Xolo that it allows installation on ext SD cards.
However, your friend is wrong ..micromax has only 1.5GB internal app space. manufacturers fuck up on software front. I reckon even lenovo mobiles have this stupid limitation.
But your friend can try to increase internal space after rooting and tinkering with settings/apps (by fooling android that SD card is internal memory)

I think they do it purposely to restrict the number of installed apps.
I mean the MTK processors have ARM Cortex A7 cores which are not powerful enough to handle huge number of apps I guess.

but the number of apps installed on the phone should not matter in the end right? because you are not really going to be running them all at the same time. android is capable enough to manage memory. at least this is what google claims as part of their recommendation to not use a task killer :D

Hmm. Can't think of any other reason than this.
I'm sure they are trying to hide some hardware limitation there. They could be using a less efficient flash storage or RAM.
I have a cheap tablet which I had bought for 7k almost a year and a half ago. It literally crawls now even after doing factory reset. It is now serving the purpose of a digital photo frame.

yup. it has to be hardware related thing. probably multiple flash drives? one high performance for OS and apps and one mediocre one for media?

Back