Got myself a Zee DTH Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 13,327
Read somewhere that the reason Airtel wants to join the DTH market is that they dont believe in the immediate success of IPTV. People in this forum undertsand what IPTV is all about,the others would feel wierd about cable through the Telephone Line. If they wanted to cover the whole nation why could they not concentrate on providing IPTV through WiMax ? Thats as good or even better alternative to DTH and perhaps even cheaper to set up.

iptv through wimax? sounds like am improbable thing to me :P

Does this make sense to anyone ?

Airtel or Bharti has a wired network in place, why would they be interested in DTH ?

What happeneed to triple play ?

Most companies are betting that DTH will be a mass success. IPTV is still too experimental a technology (for consumers) to be sure that it will become successful. Of course, it might all change suddenly.

5-6 years ago, I was doing market research for DTH and people were full of apprehensions. No one wanted the burden of looking after hardware, learning a new interface...the technology was hugely intimidating to the common man. Today, most people are more open to it and are only wondering which would give them a better deal - Dish or Tata Sky or CAS. For years, Dish TV was around and hardly added subscribers - today DTH market is hot. It's a good place for new companies to be, as its growing.

No one wants to take the burden/risk currently as I see it, of opening up IPTV the same way. Its the 'next wave' - will take off once DTH subscriptions taper off and people look for the next alternative.

umm i think its the government's decision to force CAS on the customer that they are now looking at DTH. add to that the channel mess.

True! But I know many people in Mumbai at least who are happy with CAS and are not in a hurry to shift to DTH until it gives them more channels. Of course, if you ask people in Chennai where govt. first forced it down their throats, CAS still leaves a bad taste in their mouths!

No one wants to take the burden/risk currently as I see it, of opening up IPTV the same way. Its the 'next wave' - will take off once DTH subscriptions taper off and people look for the next alternative.
Disagree there. IPTV is an interesting technology but why would people want to move to iptv if they are satisfied with CAS or DTH ? IPTV will need to come out with interesting value added services (broadband being one of them ) to boost the penetration in the market. The scope of iptv will be limited due to infrastructural constraints which is a major obstacle in it's success. DTH has taken off in a big way but CAS is still hobbling and iptv , in general , will be just an upgraded version of CAS. There is also the thing about putting all your eggs in one basket and people will be put off by that. What with mumbai's obsession with road digging and mtnl lines getting accidentally cut. It reminds me of that shayari;

" Yahan khuda hai , wahan khuda hai ; jahan nahi khuda hai , wahan kal khudega ; aye mumbai , teri khudai ko salaam. "

Disagree there. IPTV is an interesting technology but why would people want to move to iptv if they are satisfied with CAS or DTH ? IPTV will need to come out with interesting value added services (broadband being one of them ) to boost the penetration in the market. The scope of iptv will be limited due to infrastructural constraints which is a major obstacle in it's success. DTH has taken off in a big way but CAS is still hobbling and iptv , in general , will be just an upgraded version of CAS. There is also the thing about putting all your eggs in one basket and people will be put off by that.

It would be interesting to see - whether IPTV is positioned as upgraded CAS or value added broadband - or as a serious content alternative. Unless it is seen as a content alternative, it will not take off. It will just have 'novelty value' .I suspect you are right that it will struggle owing to infrastructure constraints. The triple play/ quad play thing is of more interest to the marketer - for the consumer it is not a benefit but more of a sense that 'now I am stuck to one company'. I would not put my eggs in one basket unless the company offers me a great value price eg. If I can get BB + Content + Phone line at a lesser monthly price, than I currently pay to get all 3 from seperate providers.

What with mumbai's obsession with road digging and mtnl lines getting accidentally cut. It reminds me of that shayari;

" Yahan khuda hai , wahan khuda hai ; jahan nahi khuda hai , wahan kal khudega ; aye mumbai , teri khudai ko salaam. "

Too right! Now with the rains it's worse than ever!:wall:

no downtime. the crappy wiring giving problems though. the wire is not properly connected to the STB.

Back