Have we reached the limit of inventions in technology

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 251
  • Views Views 22,882
Btw Jaymin, thanks for the answers. Because that makes me think I am thinking on right track :D

Personally..... Teleporting looks remote .. but the possibility exists that we might be able to project/teleport a virtual self... who can be present at meetings far away , can meet relatives, whom we can see from its eyes , while we are physically at home. Something like surrogates movie , where a digital projected image/device can scan the image in front & relay back to us , and display (speak) back our responses.. But then again people may argue its an enhancement

Yes, u see the problem.Like 200 years back we knew that we cud invent something to fly or something to talk long distance.Now we dont even know what we can invent except from those practically impossible things (which u and i think impossible).

@ mhsabir....Yes, as u said in the last line.....it surely wud be an "Enhancement" or better, "Trick".....not actual.

@mhsabir... exactly those are enhancements and we kind of already do that.."video chat" is same thing but in 2D.

yes it does seem that we are not "innovating" as much, but its just a matter of perspective. u can say telephone is an invention, but u can also say its an improvement over telegraph, which may be an improvement over something else. similarly light bulbs are improvements over candles (both have a burning element).
but still there are that are being invented but as these are just under "development" or "prototype" stages, we dont hear much about them.
one such invention (or an improvement over other machines if u want to call it that) would be RepRap. its a machine that creates its own parts, automatically once it has been programmed and given the raw materials obviously, it effect it self replicates.
i also believe many of the things from science fiction stories might come true in recent years, like invisibility, laser guns, quantum computers, probably in the next 50-100 years even a time machine.

----------

ahh,.. and teleportation looks fancy and rather far fetched, but its has been "invented" , all you need to do is read the wikipedia article on quantum teleportation in which the process for teleportation of photons is described, we just need to scale it up a bit so we can teleport rather more meaningful objects, not easy but i am guessing it wont take more than our life times

telephone is not improvement over telegraph!telephone involves invention of capturing human sound and producing it again.. and not just tick-tick sound or some sort of sign language.bulb is not improvement over candle!candle is natural thing, it lights up because of natural property of wax. Bulb is artificial.

also for things we really need and do not have yet are for examples, a sustainable and cheaply usable energy source, time travel, more speed on space crafts (also fuel for this), smaller faster computers (quantum comps.), artificial intelligence, cure for a few diseases, teleportation looks useful so i'll put it as a need , alternative fuel means, completely new designs for cars and most other machinery, must be more i dont know yet...

----------

the tick-tock off telegraph is the transmission of signal over long distances.
from about.com
"The telegraph and telephone are both wire-based electrical systems, and Alexander Graham Bell's success with the telephone came as a direct result of his attempts to improve the telegraph."

also, does a candle occur in nature? i havent seen one,
in candle, a thread burns, in a bulb a tungsten (or some other high resistance metal) filament burns electrically.

Well its not abt what we need. Human imagination can go anywhere.Its abt what and if we can actually invent now onwards.

a lot of inventions probably exist but are not in public because they would kill the primary source of revenue for big giant corporations. alternative fuel is one of these industry. we are seeing some progress. but the fact remains, it is still heavily dependent upon fossil fuels.

Back