Hotwire

• Thread starter Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 12,378
011-51652465-68These are the only no's available for HotwireKeep trying , sometimes the call centre can be tough to get through to.

i've had hotwire for a while now... nothing remarkable, nothing really bad either... not the crap hathway used to dish out (was using hathway's 300mb/rs650 plan -- oof)... hotwire offered 1gb/month/rs800, which was far far better, as also their service.however, the last ten days, hotwire has (for me, in a part of south delhi) meant *TRUE* broadband. bittorrents hitting 250-300 kilobytes/sec, other stuff at (highest) 498kilobytes/s... regular and sustained 100kb/s --- lets not forget, 100kb/s = ye famed 1mbit/s... wow.good things aren't meant to last, though... the isp was upgrading its servers/software and had disabled the authentication program and god-knows-what-else these past ten days... they've now installed something called packet-shaper, which keeps subscribers in line, allocates bandwidth etc... and throughput's down to a stable 10-12kb/sec.the score, however, for the week of *true* broadband, is: 4 OS's, some 30 hours of music, five divx movies, and lots of other stuff.

on logging on to hotwire, a popup occurs. inside it is this pic ->
http://www.hotwireindia.net/add_files/999.bmp - miraculously, its size is nearly 750kb... someone forgot to run a jpeg/gif converter after scanning..

anyway, the image declares, "512kbps@999"... wonder what this is all about...

Originally posted by Ryan@Jan 19 2005, 12:54 AM
Well it seems that almost every ISP is changing their packages. Here is the list for Hotwire in Delhi NCR. *i dunno what NCR is.ha*

Hotwire Startup New- Unlimited hours/mb, Rs. 444, 48 kbps, unlimited data transfer

Hotwire Ruby- Unlimited hours/mb, Rs. 666, 96 kbps, unlimited data transfer

Hotwire Gold New- Unlimited hours/mb, Rs. 999, 128kbps, unlimited data transfer.

They have other packages, but it's not unlimited. So if you guys have hotwire in your area, and want to get away from Sify, this is the ISP. I have to say, my experience with this ISP has been much much better than Sify. I never once had to call up CC for hotwire. Anyway, check it out.

Ryan
[snapback]4542[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally posted by testsubjectalpha@Jan 30 2005, 10:58 AM
on logging on to hotwire, a popup occurs. inside it is this pic ->
[anyway, the image declares, "512kbps@999"... wonder what this is all about...
[snapback]5268[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hope it means they are planning to introduce 512 kbps Unltd plan plan @ 995/ month. :D

Anyways i was also getting speeds upto 3 Mbps (yes thats 3 Mega Bits / second !!)for the last two weeks on hotwire. They were implementing this packet shaper software on their server.

Just called up the local cable operator as my connection stopped working, he says a new registration is required as the server has become prepaid and he is asking for a new maintenance charge per month over and above what hotwire is charging in its new plans. Is it the same with u guys?

"server has become prepaid" sounds like a lot of bullsh*t. either that, or they want to copy spectranet's marketing strategy. 3mbps.... well, that 1mbps i was getting as per rule was great... wonder what that kind of connectivity costs in india... rs 5k/month? :-( :-(i'm in the 61.16.xxx.xxx (is 61.16 for all of south delhi?), and the chaps here ("city datacom") haven't mentioned anything about maintenance charges - which sounds like even more bullsh*t.which plan have you migrated to/from, anon?

Not only hotwire but the whole broadband scenario in india is bullsh*t.Not sure how much 3 mbps costs in India but can tell u abt some Int'l Rates. Hutchinson Global is offering Unltd 10 Mbps Upload and download (ie SDSL)@ 198 HKD/ Month (rs 1100/-) in Hong Kong. Wonder if we will ever get that kinda stuff I am in central Delhi and yes i also have a 61.16.xxx.xxx IP address. I subscribed to hotwire about 1 year back and for the 1st 9 months i was on the unltd plan @ 999/month then i changed to the 30 hrs plan @ rs 550/monthAccording to the local cable operator and the hotwire guys the earlier hotwire server was post paid as in the the customer had to pay at the end of the month but now it is the L.C.O who has to deposit the money to hotwire in advance for the month on behalf of the subscribers. The payment that the subscriber makes at the end of the month, therefore, goes in to the pocket of L.C.O

I am in south delhi and I am in the same ip range as you guys. As for the latest plans they are offering, well I don't know yet but my cable operator said they will be introducing at least 256kbps unlimited packages with hotwire. :)

ok here's something bizarre... when i originally shifted from hathway (oof, absolutely the worst, service, speed, prices -- what's left?) the local hotwire chap signed me up for a 1gb plan. 1gb felt a lot lot more than hathway data-scam's 300mb/month, and i restrained my usage for a while, not wanting to overshoot the "limit" --- but, more importantly, not knowing the "excess data charges" (which with hathway were 2/mb) were...anyway... more sooner than later, hotwire's login client started showing some absurb figures... 5gb data in 2mins... that's when i realized the 1gb cap didn't really exist... a few phonecalls-with-my-cards-kept-close-to-my-chest revealed i was actually on a plan called "SJE" (what's that supposed to mean?) and not the 1gb "pearl"...since then, no worries, except the measly 64kbps artificial limit --- i've experienced the unimaginable bursts of speed twice prior to this network upgrade, and wait for them eagerly.anon, what was the excess you were charged if 30hrs/month was crossed?256kb/unlimited @ 500 would be a dream... interestingly, that's exactly what the sarkari broadband policy 'envisioned.'ok think about this... how meaningless are these great policy statements - they seem nothing more than an opportunity for an overweight minister to get his photo taken? - if the domain policy has the following flaw: ok, it's great to register .in's, but the real reason for this is to make traffic "faster" -- i.e. keep the traffic too within the country. when was the last time anyone heard of an indian hosting company that showed more 'disrespect for customers' than the broadband isp's do these days? their packages are laughable... offers are for 2mb/4mb/10mb space, oof... what's *really* dragging this country down is this kind of bloody bania mentality.

Originally posted by testsubjectalpha@Feb 1 2005, 08:13 PM
anon, what was the excess you were charged if 30hrs/month was crossed?

[snapback]5328[/snapback]
[/quote]

Donno never did cross it. But, even i did, i doubt if i would have been charged. They never had a properly configured system it was plain linux gateway running IP chains to prevent unauthorised access.

I am planning to take the 96 Kbps unltd. plan now.

Back