How is your ISP doing with increased traffic due to the COVID-19?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 616
  • Views Views 51,114
WTF is with all these speedtests..and what are we trying to prove here? ISPs tottering? Yeah! Latencies, jitter and ping times increased? Yep! Speeds slow? Of course, it's expected! ISPs cutting bandwidth and shaping traffic to equalize and ensure each consumer gets decent speeds? YEAH!!

We are all drinking water from the same well guys or to use another analogy driving on the same road in rush hour traffic. Learn to put up with it and stop whining. SMH!!!
This is partially true...we are on wired connection that too on FTTH... I have 60mpbs connection... In the age when gigabit is going mainstream...Less than 100mbps connections shouldn't get throttled.

Meanwhile excitel posting the same message from the past 4 days.

Screenshot_20200324-171115.webp

@Deb_1 gigabit internet connectivity is nowhere near mainstream in India. Heck in this country wired BB over 50 Mbps is a luxury item unless you are in an large urban area.

As for your comment about our connections not getting throttled, well, sorry to disappoint you but ISPs will take precisely that step (among others) to maintain performance of their network backhaul pipes and equipment and ensure no one category of customers can hog a large portion the bandwidth, especially torrents and streaming 24x7. Discussing this with others on forums is not going to make an iota of difference to your ISP (all water off a duck's back frankly) especially at a time when there has been a surprise shift of load from Corp connectivity (always well provisioned...given the SLAs) to to home broadband with zero SLAs and performance commitments.

I can see my 3 ISPs struggling at times, but hey, I prefer to just go on knowing that they will resolve it and my home BB performance will sort itself out once this 2 week period comes to a close. That is assuming the Govt. does not extent the curfew. It all depends on how many infections/mortalities are known over the coming days. Let's pray we and our respective families are safe from this new scourge and life gets back to normal ASAP.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
@C3PO Your answer is full of detail. Many don't understand diff b/w home and enterprise connection. Home user used shared bandwith. Each and every isp struggling to manage the hugh traffic right now.

@C3PO : Discussing this in forum is good in my opinion, it will raise awareness and throw light on this issues among massess whose need might not be like a stream/torrenter but they all are affected when such nation-wide issues come to light, these days this forum has been coming in media eyes, concerning digital rights and expectations from digital services(not an arbitrary T&Cs enforced to the major interest of larger part in the deal)

Remember guys near 100 and so years ago, food companies had no obligation to the customers, yeah food one of the fundamental necessity of survival and arguments similar to SLAs and stuff were given (not exactly SLA but soul of the thing was same, I hope you get the picture) but sooner the masses learned to appreciate rights and exercise them .

I hope these discussion here have helped educate your opinions, although bleeding-edge guarantees of service can't be provided for pennies, but a a minimum must be ensured against the advertised levels.

Some might argue that internet is not that fundamental then so do the right to life of dignity, right to freedom of expression,etc.
Nature never gave two shits about them and you all know what happened in history just 200 yrs ago, these rights came into existence as the civilizations evolved and the tenets of their values

And so do in this digitally changing world, where even elections are leveraged digitally and political winds are manipulated and similar are your digital rights!

@sudipta chatterjee yes, our bandwidth is shared with other home BB users that's why ISPs restrict downloads. Sorry about teh detail but I think it was necessary to explain as simply as possible why throttling and other measures are taken even when things are 'normal'. Current situation is far ffrom normal for us as humans and for any business for that matter. Other than curfew the inconveniences we face include bogged down internet. That's life under the shadow of COVID-19. 🤷‍♂️

@C3PO : Discussing this in forum is good in my opinion, it will raise awareness and throw light on this issues among massess whose need might not be like a stream/torrenter but they all are affected when such nation-wide issues come to light, these days this forum has been coming in media eyes, concerning digital rights and expectations from digital services(not an arbitrary T&Cs enforced to the major interest of larger part in the deal)........I hope these discussion here have helped educate your opinions, although bleeding-edge guarantees of service can't be provided for pennies, but a a minimum must be ensured against the advertised levels

This is moving into philosophy. :) Thing is @Realme what I laid out is the way Corporates work, at least as of now. While some of us may think of the internet as a fundamental right and the right to information that it enables can at least indirectly make it so, Corporates put a price on any service that they provide and the better the service the more it costs. We home users need to be aware of what to expect as I know that nobody reads the fine print in the CAF (customer acquisition form) and then faces disappointment later when telecom or ISPs resort to 'corrective measures'. This happens even in more liberal and richer countries so though we think of it as exclusive to India believe me it happens everywhere especially under extenuating circumstances such as the one the world is facing right now. My thoughts are basically as someone who worked in the tech and telecom industry for a very long time...yeah kind of hints my younger days are a long way behind me. :) But what I have stated is just factual, changing or not changing my views on this matter do not really matter to telecom/ISPs because they have their own policies, rules and procedures that are in line with their business objectives which are paramount to them whilst dealing with customers, Govt and society at large.

I kinda which there was something in between a residential connection and a dedicated line. Something which costs like Rs. 2k-3k/month and is shared among less users compared to residential connections and has better reliability compared to Rs. 1k/month connections. but I don't think most people will pay 2k a month for 100Mbit when they could get more shared connection for cheaper.

In the stressful times, I understand society has to do rationing and carefully planned provisioning. What I am saying is that you have given us a perspective into telecom field and lots of people do not know about it, what I want to say is by keeping the discussion alive we raise awareness among people what SLA stuff means, why it was enforced(it wasn't as arbitrary or conspiracy theory which a common/non-tech person might think).]

By continuing the discussion, we give people an opportunity to engage and learn more.

like saying 'boys will be boys' much appropriate saying would be : "Corporates always have been corporates"

Doesn't matter what they trade in or in what century they were in be it East India Company, Chicago fruit , SLave Trader Inc signign their CFAs(i made this up)or anything

I saw your post as means to invite a discussion and opportunity to educate people to get a better grasp of continuously evolving digital world.

I didn't mean to change your opinion or convey disrespect, sorry if I came off like that

@Realme hey bro, no worries I am cool. The debate is good as you rightly pointed out. Sorry I come across as a stick-in-the-mud or party pooper. Just that my professional experience at home and overseas tells me how these telecom/ISPs/tech Cos think and act..well, at least at a v high level. There only 3 things that bother them - profitability, complying with Govt. norms and all types of laws in the country of operation. :) Telecom is a highly leveraged, highly monitored and very critical infrastructure sector. Huge pressure from all sides...is all I can tell you for now.

Back