How is your ISP doing with increased traffic due to the COVID-19?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 616
  • Views Views 51,114
I think airtel provides better contention ratio than other isps.

I kinda which there was something in between a residential connection and a dedicated line. Something which costs like Rs. 2k-3k/month and is shared among less users compared to residential connections and has better reliability compared to Rs. 1k/month connections. but I don't think most people will pay 2k a month for 100Mbit when they could get more shared connection for cheaper.
Isn't that as same as buying more bandwidth and expecting a minimum speed.
Like pay for 300mbps, be happy at 100

This was the case in Europe from last week.
You have to keep in mind that Europe has better internet infrastructure than us especially countries like Romania.
Uk has better backbone but they're still stuck with crappy vdsl.
When I visited UK couple of years ago, I was just baffled over thier fiber to the home infra.
Even though they get fiber to cabinet, only VDSL reaches the homes.

@Deb_1 gigabit internet connectivity is nowhere near mainstream in India. Heck in this country wired BB over 50 Mbps is a luxury item unless you are in an large urban area.

As for your comment about our connections not getting throttled, well, sorry to disappoint you but ISPs will take precisely that step (among others) to maintain performance of their network backhaul pipes and equipment and ensure no one category of customers can hog a large portion the bandwidth, especially torrents and streaming 24x7. Discussing this with others on forums is not going to make an iota of difference to your ISP (all water off a duck's back frankly) especially at a time when there has been a surprise shift of load from Corp connectivity (always well provisioned...given the SLAs) to to home broadband with zero SLAs and performance commitments.

I can see my 3 ISPs struggling at times, but hey, I prefer to just go on knowing that they will resolve it and my home BB performance will sort itself out once this 2 week period comes to a close. That is assuming the Govt. does not extent the curfew. It all depends on how many infections/mortalities are known over the coming days. Let's pray we and our respective families are safe from this new scourge and life gets back to normal ASAP.

Cheers! :)
I don't agree, there are total 19 million wired connection of a country of 1.3 billion people(source: Total wired broadband subs base stands at 19.14 mn in Dec 2019 ) so I dont think throttling every user is reasonable.No one is streaming neither 24*7 nor torrenting all the time (if you have more than 50 mbps,practically your hard drive will be full in a few hours in case of heavy download)..ISPs already implement traffic management which is normal,what they can do is do the traffic management more extensively which doesn't justify individual throttling.This is a mass hysteria of ISPs..(Everyone is throttling so we need to throttle too.)and dont forget OTTs use caching servers which mainly resides on ISP nodes ...which incorporates minimal strain to ISP networks.

and those 19 million connections also include offices and corporates.. actual home connections are much less..

I don't agree, there are total 19 million wired connection of a country of 1.3 billion people so I dont think throttling every user is reasonable.No one is streaming neither 24*7 nor torrenting all the time (if you have more than 50 mbps,practically your hard drive will be full in a few hours in case of heavy download)..ISPs already implement traffic management which is normal,what they can do is do the traffic management more extensively which doesn't justify individual throttling.This is a mass hysteria of ISPs..(Everyone is throttling so we need to throttle too.)and dont forget OTTs use caching servers which mainly resides on ISP nodes ...which incorporates minimal strain to ISP networks.

Err... @Deb_1 at the end of the day it really doesn't matter to ANY ISP whether you, me or any customer disagree (or agree) with their policies or not and care even less if we rant (discuss?) this on a forum. :)

They know their network capacity and loads and network management policies better than any of us. And they will do what it takes to keep it running. No point being upset with the throttling because there's nothing anybody can do.

And...if you're so pissed off wait until the country-wide lockdown is over and approach the ISP's authorities or even the TRAI or other statutory body with your grievance(s). I for one will love to know what happens next.

Cheers!

PS - Netflix lowering its traffic by 25% in India

Last edited:
Isn't that as same as buying more bandwidth and expecting a minimum speed.
Like pay for 300mbps, be happy at 100

You need to buy Airtel. You’ll get Airtel for 2k and you’ll always get high speeds and reliability except if there is a bug in your line, which is rare.

What I don’t understand is why aren’t companies shifting bandwidth from their leased lines to their residential plans during this season?

Back