How to check BSNL Broadband Account Usage?

• Thread starter Thread starter tkktbl
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2,332
  • Views Views 2,738,037
just to clear everything venkey.1977.you said you get download speeds of 200kbps in IDM but IDM window shows speeds in KBps not kbps so try now to download some free/trial software from sites like softpedia or java setup from sun microsystems & see how much speed you now get.if you get around 190-220KBps in IDM window then its OK.if you get 25-35KBps or less than 100KBps then something is wrong.
PS forget conversion sites for this.just remember a simple rule.1KB=8Kb.all download manager,torrent programs,browsers show download speed in KBps.multiply that speed by 8 to know what is the download speed in kbps.

2 megabytes = 2048 kilobytes = 2097152 bytes

This is correct,
Hey what are you getting as your speed in Kilo Bytes?
Check line rate of you modem and upload a screen shot here.:)

well its say exactly what i just told you....
one kilobit 1 kbit = 103 bit = 1000 bit
:) IIT come on I thought you knew better.
ISPs follow Mbit and not Mibit
Quote from you link whitestar...
"Some designers of local area networks have used megabit per second to mean 1 048 576 bit/s, but all telecommunications engineers use it to mean 106 bit/s."
"Faced with this reality, the IEEE Standards Board decided that IEEE standards will use the conventional, internationally adopted, definitions of the SI prefixes. Mega will mean 1 000 000, except that the base-two definition may be used (if such usage is explicitly pointed out on a case-by-case basis) until such time that prefixes for binary multiples are adopted by an appropriate standards body"

Note: 103 , 106 = 10 to the power 3 and power 6 respectively.

Historical context
Once upon a time, computer professionals noticed that 210 was very nearly equal to 1000 and started using the SI prefix "kilo" to mean 1024. That worked well enough for a decade or two because everybody who talked kilobytes knew that the term implied 1024 bytes. But, almost overnight a much more numerous "everybody" bought computers, and the trade computer professionals needed to talk to physicists and engineers and even to ordinary people, most of whom know that a kilometer is 1000 meters and a kilogram is 1000 grams.
Then data storage for gigabytes, and even terabytes, became practical, and the storage devices were not constructed on binary trees, which meant that, for many practical purposes, binary arithmetic was less convenient than decimal arithmetic. The result is that today "everybody" does not "know" what a megabyte is. When discussing computer memory, most manufacturers use megabyte to mean 220 = 1 048 576 bytes, but the manufacturers of computer storage devices usually use the term to mean 1 000 000 bytes. Some designers of local area networks have used megabit per second to mean 1 048 576 bit/s, but all telecommunications engineers use it to mean 106 bit/s. And if two definitions of the megabyte are not enough, a third megabyte of 1 024 000 bytes is the megabyte used to format the familiar 90 mm (3 1/2 inch), "1.44 MB" diskette. The confusion is real, as is the potential for incompatibility in standards and in implemented systems.
Faced with this reality, the IEEE Standards Board decided that IEEE standards will use the conventional, internationally adopted, definitions of the SI prefixes. Mega will mean 1 000 000, except that the base-two definition may be used (if such usage is explicitly pointed out on a case-by-case basis) until such time that prefixes for binary multiples are adopted by an appropriate standards body.
read the full text before jumping to results.if you know binary system then in this 2^10=1024 is the basic factor like 1000 in metric system.to avoid confusion amongst those(like yourself) who do not understand it SI units are being used but that doesn't change the basic fact that in binary system 1024 is what 1000 in metric system.

now i hope you will be able to understand why IIT'ans are considered the best among engg. graduates in the country.because they think what others don't after seeing a problem.

Well you are too stiff minded to interpret it...An IIT grad dont kid your self.you upload your degree and i'll except you are right.what say?:)

your whole point was that i was wrong in saying "in binary system factor is 1024 not 1000.even bsnl use this system & according to them 2mbps=2048kbps not 2000kbps."
read this carefully---Mega will mean 1 000 000, except that the base-two definition may be used (if such usage is explicitly pointed out on a case-by-case basis) until such time that prefixes for binary multiples are adopted by an appropriate standards body.

what this means is you can consider mega as 1000000 except in case when binary system is being used & BSNL use binary sytem(as mentioned on their site which says 1mbps=1024kbps,1kbps=1024bytes).in fact most ISP's use binary system & your mega definition of 1000000 is generally used by hard disc manufacturers.

PS--upload my degree for such a irrational issue!i don't think i have to say anything more if you can comprehend what i mean.

I am waiting for your Degree buddy...you can leave this argument on that...Mr. IIT why dont you prove urself.

Back