How to Get Airtel's Backend to enable Bridge Mode

ISP
Airtel
Folks,

I see a lot of you have been successful in getting Airtel's Backend to enable the bridge mode on your connections. I have been at it for the past 4 days and I am yet to encounter a knowledgable individual at Airtel's Call Center. I have escalated it to the Nodal email provided and I am hopeful they get this done.; however, I wanted to pick your brains on how you managed to enable the Bridge Mode.

Any advice / guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

PS: Anyone tried re-flashing the Nokia G-2425G-A? If you have any advice / guidance please DM/PM. Cheers

heh yeah. airtel customer support is basically like that. they decide if they want to support you or not.

Upvote 0
Maybe a little off topic here.

I have been using my Nokia G-2425G-A in bridge mode since a couple of months, without any help from airtel backend.
All I did was -
1. Disconnected the fiber patch cord
2. Hard reset the Nokia device which erases the WAN profile
3. Prevented auto-configuration from the server by disabling TR-069 from the webGUI.
4. Enabled bridge mode in 3 of the 4 LAN ports. One port kept in route mode for wired access to the webGUI.
5. Connected my Archer AX73 in one of the bridged ports and let it take care of rest of the settings.
This setup was working fine without any issue. I was getting public IPv4 address in the AX73 and public IPv6 address in all devices.

However, interesting thing happened when I unlocked the Nokia device for further experiments.
Now that all settings are unlocked, I have completely erased all default settings and profiles. Then I manually created WAN profile for internet only (without enabling TR-069). Bridge mode was kept as mentioned above and connected the AX73.

Now I am getting two different public IPv4 addresses, one in the Nokia device, another in my AX73. IPv6 also works fine in both the devices. Connected my phone to the Nokia device through wireless, and my PC to the AX73 (wired). Both devices are connected to internet but having two separate public IPv4 addresses. I assume that two different PPPoE sessions have been established in this method, but with same credential. Is this a flaw in airtel's system or PPPoE connection works in this way? Will one of my MAC ID get blocked if I continue to use internet in two devices?
I know that there is no real benefit in using internet in two devices and I can easily delete the WAN profile in the Nokia device. But I just hope to separate my IoT devices this way (home network through AX73 and IoT devices through Nokia). Also, I am not sure whether two connections have the same combined bandwidth. I have 300mbps plan. Am I getting 300mpbs separately for two connections (combined to 600mbps?), or their combined bandwidth is limited to 300mbps? These questions does not matter if there is chance of getting MAC id blocked though. Can anyone shed light on these?

Upvote 0
@dpn020xy Nope. Most of the CC representatives doesn't know well about these technical details. They'll just raise a ticket. I once raised ticket for my landline, which is not working since bridge mode is enabled. Their engineer visited but couldn't provision the Nokia device for voice settings. They were stunned to see that I am having internet access even if there was no valid WAN profile in the Nokia device. They were just telling that they need to replace the Nokia device since voice is not working. I had to convince them that my priority is internet, which is working fine and closed the ticket. If I tell them about the current situation, they may replace the Nokia device. And I am not sure if handling another ONT will be as easy as Nokia.

Upvote 0
Now I am getting two different public IPv4 addresses, one in the Nokia device, another in my AX73

That's normal behaviour. I too get 2 IP addresses one with my personal router and one on the Airtel ONT. Both run faultlessly and at the plan speed. :) However, I keep my Airtel ONT WiFi disabled and no connections to the routed port on that device. WiFi is switched on only if I need to access the admin page which I almost never do since my pfSense box is the gateway for my LAN.

Upvote 0

Back