Huawei HG8120C xPON (EPON and GPON) ONT with telephone port (no wireless)

1. I have not tried such a big subnet cause honestly I don't that many devices. :D Is there a specific reason for using a /16 subnet? Even if you want to use the 10.0.0.0 range, you can use 10.0.0.0/24 ie 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0

2. I haven't yet found a way to change the WAN MAC address and didn't need it either. BSNL has stopped MAC binding in most areas AFAIK.

I did have that in mind. Will try that once the other points are clear.

1. I have not tried such a big subnet cause honestly I don't that many devices. :D Is there a specific reason for using a /16 subnet? Even if you want to use the 10.0.0.0 range, you can use 10.0.0.0/24 ie 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0

2. I haven't yet found a way to change the WAN MAC address and didn't need it either. BSNL has stopped MAC binding in most areas AFAIK.

1. Hehe. I just wanted to keep the ONT on a different subnet to avoid any possible routing issues. I will try both the IPs in that case i.e. 192.168.2.x and 10.0.0.1/24.

2. Oh! So I just have to clone the serial number I assume?

I would actually give it a try and confirm.

MAC binding from a PPPoE perspective is done by BSNL at their BNG level, not at TIP/LCO level. At the TIP/LCO level all they can do is whitelist the ONT serial and allow only that ONT to register to the OLT. This can be worked around simply by cloning the serial and can be done from the UI. The WAN MAC wouldn't matter here.

Now if BSNL is actually doing PPPoE MAC binding, then easiest way is to bridge the ONT and configure the WAN interface on your main router ie the Edgerouter where the MAC can easily be cloned.

Back