Huawei HG8120C xPON (EPON and GPON) ONT with telephone port (no wireless)

@varkey How do you figure out if an ONT is xPON or an unchangeable/fixed type of PON?

Also another doubt, can multiple WAN PPPoe over tagged VLANs be possible with this ONT?
Say there are two ISPs over the same Fiber on different VLANs. Can this ONT bridge them both as tagged VLANs so that my router performs PPPoE for both and can load balance/fail over between them?

@pillaicha Would need to confirm from the specs. In case of Huawei, it's not advertised as xPON, but I guess it's based on reports by users online.

Yes, you can use use multiple ISPs on different VLANs. I'm already doing something similar with Voice and PPPoE on the same cable which are on different VLANs. Should be similar for another PPPoE VLAN too.

So in the case of the one you're selling, PON mode is changed through telnet/ssh or firmware upgrade? I've seen instances of both wrt Huawei ONTs. I'm asking in case an LCO decides to change his setup.

So what difficulty did @bigbyte.me claim to have that VLAN tagged PPPoE connections weren't possible for him without adding a WAN profile in the ONT?

The PON made is changed over telnet, I will share the instructions for it post purchase. I had run into the very same case with my LCO, was on EPON earlier and then few days ago he moved to GPON. All I had to do was change the mode over telnet, a minor config change and I was back online.

Now that I could test with GPON mode as well, I noticed that there is a slight difference in how the device works in GPON and EPON mode.

In EPON mode, it works out of the box in transparent bridge mode (ie just plug the ONT, connect to your router and use any VLAN available on the link on your main router), however in GPON mode, you need to create bridge WAN profiles with the VLAN IDs and then map the VLAN IDs (you can map any number of them) to a port. Functionality wise it works the same, only difference being that you need to specifically define the VLAN based WAN profiles on the ONT. So I am confused now why the same didn't work for @bigbyte.me, perhaps some limitation with his hardware/software.

aWqrddR.webp

YdoDlxS.webp

rvzeIbc.webp

The above screenshots might help in visualising that. 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thanks for the Screenshots. So this unit you're selling is a routing-type Huawei ONT unlike the model you own/owned before of which you've posted Screenshots here somewhere on the forum.. It didn't have any routing pages or even the options to configure WAN profiles - its a bridging-type ONT... I think it was a HG8010, iirc?

Yes, this supports routing and bridge modes. You are right, the previous one I was using was HG8010H which doesn't have any option to create WAN profiles etc, it only works in bridge mode.

That one doesn't have the TEL/Voice port either.

Functionality wise it works the same, only difference being that you need to specifically define the VLAN based WAN profiles on the ONT. So I am confused now why the same didn't work for @bigbyte.me, perhaps some limitation with his hardware/software.
The ONT was tested using two routers TP-Link Flashed with Open wrt and Netgear R7000 flashed with FreshTomato (by Seller over Anydesk) and it didn't work with either. So it definitely wasn't a problem my hardware or software.
That's why I said in my earlier post that whether it works for you or not depends on your LCO/ISP configuration.

Back