I want to buy my own router for JioFiber ?

• Thread starter Thread starter netuser123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 6,593

netuser123

I got banned!
ISP
Reliance JioFi (4G)
I am using JioFi at the monemt. I have never used a fiber connection.
I am planning to get JioFiber. Suppose I don't want to use the router that Jio provides & want to buy the router from the local market ....is that possible ?
I have used cable broadband in the past. I was using a D-Link router (I forgot the model number). It had 1 Wan port (RJ45), 4 LAN ports & WiFi.
If I buy a Dlink/TP-Link/Netgear router which has a RJ45 Wan port can I use it with JioFiber ?

As you can see I am confused & the reason for that is I don't know how a fiber connection is done. When I was using cable broadband (SITI broadband) the local cable operator provided a CAT5 cable with a RJ45 connector. I connected the RJ45 jack to the WAN port of my Dlink router. I was also able to connect the RJ45 directly to the LAN card of my PC if I wanted.

@netuser123 Jiofibeer will provide YOU with an ONT devise which has wifi in it
but if You want You can use Your own router in accesspoint mode & turning of the wifi on ONT
note:I noticed higher pings on My own router with Jiofiber than ONT

you can go with triple NAT. Connecting LAN of Jio Router to your own router's WAN. Internet will work fine.

The white/blue box shown in the video is the ONT, which is the fiber equivalent of a modem. It converts optical signals to electrical signals (ethernet). Like cable 'modems', ONTs can do other stuff as well such as routing and wifi (however, the one shown in the video is a simple no wifi ONT).

However, ONTs can be set to 'bridge mode'. Here the ONT becomes nothing more than a media convertor without any routing/NAT/DHCP etc. This is useful when you have your own router because then you can make your own (more powerful) router handle routing/NAT/DHCP.

The way you were doing with SITI creates multiple NAT. By connecting LAN of modem to WAN of your router, both your modem and router are doing routing and NAT. This may result in worse performance and certain things like port forwarding will be harder to do. However, for simple cases this is perfectly fine.

You can do this with Jio Fiber, simply connect a Ethernet cable from LAN of Jio router to your own router.

With that said, Jio provides a router that has inbuilt WiFi and Ethernet. You may likely don't need your own router.

Last edited:
@JB701
The only reason I dont want to use the router supplied by Jio is SCURITY.
I have no idea if they offer firmware updates in a timely manner or if at all.
Whatever ISP I choose I plan to use IPCop - Home as the first line of defense.
So connecting the LAN of Jio router to IPCop doesnt make sense.

Screenshot-2021-02-08-195910.png

This one? They put less expensive on after more expensive one lol

Back