IRCTC News & Updates

Thats fine as long as you don't have to stand in a queue for 2 hours. Only to see touts getting things done from "back door".

well yeah that's painful :Di will see what i can do.

^^ Agreed . I had a trip to few months ago and trains were in much better condition , they keep boggies clean during long journey and the food even though yuck in taste , was very hygienically packed .

Now a days restaurants near all major stations have identified this as business opportunity.

You call them and place your order along with your seat/coach number. Food is delivered hot when train reaches that station.

Good thing is cell works even when train is passing through a small village.

i totally agree. railway has certainly improved a lot in the last few years.

Paying Rs 20 isnt much. Imagine that u would pay greater amount on petrol if u drive all the way to railway station. Plus u have to stand in queue. Plus u dont get to see all options of various trains available , their fares, availability and times. I guess Rs 60 is for iticket( bcoz it includes courier charges as well)I have been booking via IRCTC for 4-5 years now( maybe even longer)........and i never had any problem. I dont remember when I last paid at Railway station. And IRCTC has improved a lot , it accepts almost all debit cards now as well. Years ago, I could use only my citibank credit card only.To hitman : Its better to opt for a debit card ( if u have one) on IRCTC. U would be charged Rs 20 only & nothing else. And Rs 20 isnt service tax....its service charge....tax, if any, is already included in the fare itself.

Now a days restaurants near all major stations have identified this as business opportunity.

You call them and place your order along with your seat/coach number. Food is delivered hot when train reaches that station.

Good thing is cell works even when train is passing through a small village.

Where can i get contact nos of such restaurants to place an order ?

@boygr8....

Thanx for the information regarding usage of Debit card to save money. I booked via credit cards......and it costed me more.

Paying Rs 20 isnt much. Imagine that u would pay greater amount on petrol if u drive all the way to railway station. Plus u have to stand in queue.

Well local ticketing agents in Mubmai (they are authorized vendors of Indian railways like IRCTC) don not charge a single rupee (they are not allowed to)

They get a % of ticket from railways since they take care of ticket printing etc.

Similarly IRCTC must be getting a % from railways. There is no logic for them charging service fees for tickers that need not be couriered.

Where can i get contact nos of such restaurants to place an order ?

The one in Itarsi station is Neelam hotel (0757 - 2236105). [if you happen to travel north from Mumbai or South from Delhi, this station is almost in middle]

Agreed that they should not be charging Rs 20 as this saves them a lot of money. But its definitely worth. I havent tried to book thru agents. I tried once and he charged me more than what IRCTC charged.

i guess i would go to the station to book the three tickets i have to book for January...
hey you can pay the money using direct debit facility, if you have account of any one of the banks listed by them :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I tried once and he charged me more than what IRCTC charged.

Don't know they have only one or two "legal" agents in a city like Mumbai.

Others just charge 40 rs (per person, not per ticket :madness:) and get things done thru backdoor.

Back