Is something wrong globally? (Cogent-TATA Peering Mess)

This is being taken out of context.
Cogent and Tata is not some kind of mothership that is carrying the entire world.

@Sushubh your Excitel issue with Cloudflare is unrelated.
@TheNuttyNet your issues with Google are unrelated, but your issue with Proton is not. Proton is known to use fdcservers in Asia and that is the likely reason.

All this, 'Cogent-TATA Peering Drama' only means that if you or the server you access used to rely only and ONLY on Cogent or Tata for transit (and here I mean not to the entire Internet but just towards these two) i.e., your origination or destination is either of them or behind them.

Then and ONLY then you are affected. Else it's unrelated.

@Lolita_Magnum Can traffic not be exchanged between Cogent and Tata via other intermediaries? Like, say, some other transit provider B, who peers with both Cogent and TATA?

@royalroy That can be done but at an exponential cost.
This would also mean that any one of them bowed out first, and it was Cogent who started all of this.

I came back to work today and this is what Tata has informed to us.

We are experiencing issue with the Cogent Network.

Our team has identified a problem and is actively working on rerouting traffic to other peers and customers. We are also in the process of adding capacity with other peers to mitigate the issue as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We understand that this may cause some inconvenience and we sincerely apologize for any disruption this may cause to your service. Please be assured that we are doing everything in our power to resolve this issue promptly.

Tata has currently re-route some of our high capacity links (100Gb) to Cogent over via GTT.

so how is the latency now when routed through GTT ? is it higher than cogent ?

I faced a connectivity issue with my work today, did a tracert seems tata is routing via airtel (maybe for some routes) ? :-D

@Rickysin So currently if we want to reach anything related to Cogent, it goes as Tata > GTT > Cogent.
Tata is also advertising our routes to Cogent, so the return path can take GTT as well.

Fixed??
xbAbtsZ.png

Back